Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected regen dots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
This surprised me the other day. We went for a hike, and left the car parked at the trailhead, elevation 5249 ft. I failed to note the temp on arrival, but it was cool, let's say 60s F. The car was in full sun, toasting nicely while we hiked for almost 3 hours. Upon our return to the car, the outside temp was up to 84 F. The battery was at 66%. Driving down the mountain, we had regen dots for about 3.5 letters (PRND). What the heck? Plenty warm, battery not too full. Why limited regen? Any theories?

Reactions: Gasaraki
I have seen this on my LR RWD when doing a lot of downhill driving. My guess is that the battery is not really preconditioned to take sustained high charging yet, so the car is nerfing the regen to keep the battery within healthy specs.

I've also seen this right after I transition to winter tires. The car needs to get used to the difference in slippage of the tires.

Also, anyone with SR/SR+, you'll see regen dots way more than other trims due to your battery size. Smaller battery means more charge per cell during regen, so your regen nerf kicks in a lot earlier.

This surprised me the other day. We went for a hike, and left the car parked at the trailhead, elevation 5249 ft. I failed to note the temp on arrival, but it was cool, let's say 60s F. The car was in full sun, toasting nicely while we hiked for almost 3 hours. Upon our return to the car, the outside temp was up to 84 F. The battery was at 66%. Driving down the mountain, we had regen dots for about 3.5 letters (PRND). What the heck? Plenty warm, battery not too full. Why limited regen? Any theories?

its part of the regen nerf patch from march. likely something to do with battery warmth and stress i presume. i guess the 60kw of regen down a hill shouldnt matter that much when the battery is at 60% but who knows....

Reactions: Phlier and kevin1
Dendrites!
I swear they’ve dialed back the regen with software updates. I drive up and down a big hill (600 ft) when I leave my house and get lots of dots coming down the hill even in fairly mild weather (60F). I just hope we don’t get #chargegate like the older Model S.