Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpectedly buying a 4680 MY: Hit me w/ your best tips & budget accessories please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting you used it as a placeholder. How'd you do on the resale if you don't mind me asking? My wife and I actually discussed this possibility. If the car doesn't "feel" worth the money, or the ID.4 qualifies for the full tax credit and we end up liking it, perhaps we can sell the MY and not take too much of a bath in this crazy market.

I wouldn’t recommend it. I did end up losing some money in the process (About $1000) I was at $69K after taxes and got $68K for it. But definitely can’t know the market any given week at this point. It could swing $5K the other way.

Obviously that’s a unique situation given I owned the car for just a month. I was intending on keeping the 4680 SR and letting the MYP go but when delivery moved up, I couldn’t resist.

It’s nice that I’ve already had experience with the car. I had to fly to another city and drive it back 3 hours during a stressful end of quarter push lol. So it’ll be nice to pick up the MYP in my city.

Reactions: IndyGopher
1. All-weather floor mats
2. Tesla wall connector + 60A breaker

Anything else is really YMMV. I personally don't believe in adding a bunch of mods (especially the cheap plastic stuff off Amazon, eBay, and Aliexpress) to any of my vehicles. Like to keep them as stock as possible. I guess you could say even the two things I recommended are completely optional. That said you will NEVER regret keeping your dirty, muddy, wet shoes off the fresh carpet in your brand new $60K car.. Or the ability to charge your Tesla at its maximum charging speed/rate when its parked at home.. while keeping the mobile connector in your car at all times for actual REAL emergencies (like you cannot make it to a public charger and your battery is about to die).

100% will buy all weather floor mats. I'll search this forum for specific recommendations, but if anyone has a link to a good value set I'd appreciate it.
Really like these mats from amazon. They fit perfectly, contour around the seat mounts in the rear better than anything else I have found, and can be hosed off and look like new in seconds. Currently, there is a $15 off coupon.
https://a.co/d/bnl7zcq

I have these for the trunk, sub trunk, and frunk. They match the front mats and fit the best that I could find. I ordered several brands of mats to see which one fit the best and returned the others as they all had gaps or the length was too short or too long and blocked the sub-trunk handle.

These are just like the 3d spider mat material that everyone raves about but without the gaudy logo and high prices.

• I've read that front mud guards are also a must, but that they're included in some geographic locations. I assume Chicago would be one of those, but does anyone know for sure?
I have the Basenor flaps off Amazon, only use the front. The rear doesn't need them. Install is probably 30 seconds. Don't need to mess with any difficult rear screw. Mine are 100% stable and secure, but I don't live in a snow climate. I would add a screw to the top if I had snow/ice buildup on the flaps to make it more secure with added weight on them.
  • I already have a 14-50 outlet for my Hyundai Ioniq (and i3 before it), so I bought the Tesla mobile connector and 14-50 adapter. Already own a Tesla Tap as well, so I plan to use that to charge the Hyundai off the Tesla connector.
  • Does the car come with a J1772 adapter these days, or is all charging hardware a separate purchase now?
My June build came with J1772 and 5-15. I bought the 14-50 adapter separately. Not sure if the new ones after the cutoff date come with anything. 14-50 and mobile charger is more than adequate for 99% of people. I drive 40-100+ miles per day. Never any issues or desire for it to be faster, recharges back up to 80% (where I keep my limit set) in a few hours at most.
  • I'm a little bummed about going back to a little garage door opener remote after having Homelink on my last two cars. Where do you all keep the remote? I have a smart door opener, so is there some way to integrate that with an app on the car or something?
Thanks again!
I would recommend a sliding tray for the front console under the phone chargers from Basenor off Amazon. That huge deep cavity is a pretty useless junk collector hole without it. Works great for sunglasses etc and it's cheap. My garage opener fits perfectly in the slot on the right side of this tray. Stays out of sight and works great, just reach in there and push the button. Tray Slides out of the way so you have access to the underneath area also.

Also got the DIY rear quarter/door ppf kit from abstract ocean for around $40. Glad I did because it has saved some rock impacts already. Multiple impacts in the ppf film on mine already, but the paint is fine. This is a major problem area for the model Y if you do some research on it. The Tesla mud flaps supposedly work better for protection here but they are so big and ugly on our white performance they aren't worth it for me. The smaller Basenor ones are hardly noticeable and cut down debris and mud spray by about 60-70%.

Last edited:
Really like these mats from amazon. They fit perfectly, contour around the seat mounts in the rear better than anything else I have found, and can be hosed off and look like new in seconds. Currently, there is a $15 off coupon.
https://a.co/d/bnl7zcq

I have these for the trunk, sub trunk, and frunk. They match the front mats and fit the best that I could find. I ordered several brands of mats to see which one fit the best and returned the others as they all had gaps or the length was too short or too long and blocked the sub-trunk handle.

These are just like the 3d spider mat material that everyone raves about but without the gaudy logo and high prices.

I'm looking at these as well. Question on these mats, the backseat seems to extend more underneath the front seat more than 3DMax ones. Do they impede storage box or putting stuff underneath the front seats? Wondering if you had 3DMax as one of your comparison, any thoughts on those?

Thanks!

Jowua MagSafe phone holder & charger a
sssuming you have a compatible phone.

Paint protection film (PPF) for the front of car, hood and rear door and panels behind rear door. Protects from Rick chips. Why the rear areas? Tesla front tires can kick up rocks and fling them back. Perhaps more of an issue on performance model y with the wider tires and if you live in an area with lots of loose gravel on roads.

Front mud flaps to block rocks from being flunk backwards.

Plastic floor vent coverings. Prevent stuff from getting lost in vent shaft below front seats and rattling for all eternity. 2020 2022 Tesla Model Y Rear Vent Insert/cover set - Etsy

TParts center console usb data module - look in to this if you want to hookup usb data devices to the center console usb-c ports. Game controllers & playing music from usb storage. I like to playback from usb to avoid extra Bluetooth compression. I also hook up two game controllers (powerA wired via usb-c/usb-a converter) and play head to head games with my kids sometimes.

Don’t’ buy a different storage device for tesla dashcam until current one breaks (if ever). The one provided is rated for high heat and aggressive amounts of write data. It has a micro SD memory and is rated for video surveillance (many data writes). Best of all when it breaks, it is $30 if you buy the Samsung bar one rather than rebranded one from tesla store and it has 5 year warranty.

I'm looking at these as well. Question on these mats, the backseat seems to extend more underneath the front seat more than 3DMax ones. Do they impede storage box or putting stuff underneath the front seats? Wondering if you had 3DMax as one of your comparison, any thoughts on those?

Thanks!
I don't have a dedicated under-seat storage box but I don't think it would get in the way at all, Those boxes aren't that deep from what I can tell. There is plenty of room from the front still. I keep my Tesla mobile charger bag under the driver's seat to store cleaning supplies and there is extra room. I like how the mats are a few inches deeper, seems to be where people put their feet back there, it's always dirty in that forward spot. Super easy to just pull out the whole mat, kind of roll it up like a taco to contain all the dirt and grit, then just shake it off, hose it down to clean off any muddy footprints and it's good as new.

I also like how they look like they are OEM. They don't look like cheap all-weather rubber mats that are always dirty in the grooves. They look premium like they came with the car.

I did not try max spider, just a few generic copy brands on Amazon with good reviews. They are all the same material (or very close) just different fits and bottom textures. The fitment on this brand is 100% perfect with no gaps, some of the others were terrible and off by 0.5-1 inch in places. That is why I kept these 2 brands. I did set all my mats in the 100-degree sun for about 15 minutes, and any creases or bends from the packaging quickly vanished. This was only an issue with my cargo mat and frunk.

Last edited:
Y'all are the best! Great tips here and nice thread for newbs. Already ordered a screen protector, all weather floor mats, and center console organizers. Going to ask SA about whether I'll get front mud flaps and J1772 adapter, but will buy those if not. Might order PPF for the rear door area as that's been commented on several times and seems cheap. I'm not keen on doing the whole front (or spending $500 even for a partial DIY kit), as I've never been picky about cosmetic stuff like that, but I'll keep it in mind!

How are some of these mats compared to Weather Tech? Tesmania vs LDCR vs Weather Tech...etc
I hate those hard plastic mat materials or heavy-duty rubber ones, the plastic ones get slippery and the grooves fill up with junk and the rubber ones always look dirty the second you put your feet on them, and even after you wash them. My last car came with those and I hated them.