Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Truth!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I was referring to the many Hummers, Escalades, Jukes, trucks etc. that I encountered on the way back.

Actually I think the efficiency of the Tesla design means that it doesn't have all that much benefit to draft behind, compared to many other things.
;)

We should have looked at the consumption numbers for that trip. We did look at the numbers for the next leg where, mostly, DrComputer was leading. Interestingly, even though I was stomping it to 95 a few times alone in the right lane I ended up using less juice for that leg than he did.

Not at all. If you're willing to draft 1 second behind a big truck, you can drive 10 mph faster for the same energy.

I meant drafting behind another Tesla. When we were in trail between Tejon and Harris Ranches, on the way up, I don't think I used much less energy than Brianman, and I was in back. I absolutely agree that drafting behind something ugly is a real win... which was the point of my posting.

But only for 5 to 7 seconds or so.
I think you and Doug_G are talking about different things.

If the truck is going 55 and you're going 55, then you may be able to go 65 for a few seconds while drafting at the some consumption rate. (Your interpretation I think.)

(But I think Doug_G is saying...)
If the truck is going 55 and you're going 45, then you can slot in behind him at 55 and pay no consumption penalty for the faster speed.

I think you and Doug_G are talking about different things.

If the truck is going 55 and you're going 55, then you may be able to go 65 for a few seconds while drafting at the some consumption rate. (Your interpretation I think.)

Yes, after which time you then collide with the back of the truck.

I understood what he wrote, I just chose to interpret it differently. ;)

1s following distance is too low anyway. The energy saved will often be lost to reaction braking due to lack of visibility, fuel used by the tow truck and ambulance, visits to medical facilities or the long drives and flights of distant relatives to the funeral.

Best vehicle to draft that I have found is an empty log truck. They drive fast, even up hills. They have a giant wake so you don't need to be close to them. You aren't in their blind spot because they don't have a trailer. Only two problems are they tend to drop bark and dirt balls and they are basically short haulers.