Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown Error BMS_a066

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this error about a week ago as well, 2021 M3 SR+. Came up randomly. We always charge to the same level and have noted the rated kms for that charge level dropping every charge as well as the rated range dropping as we drive. Service appointment next Weds. The draft service estimate shows new HV battery needed but they will be doing diagnostics to confirm when we take it in. 29k kms on the odometer. I happen to have a TeslaFi trial right now and in the fleet comparison it shows all similar cars have around 12% higher rated range than we do.

How would your replacement battery be out of warranty if you have a 2021 LR? You should still have the 8 year warranty...
140,000 miles, it’s 8 years or 120,000 miles whichever comes first

My 2021 Y with dual motors and tow pkg (18k) popped up this message 10 days ago, just as I was about to leave for a camping trip, all loaded with a trailer full of camping gear. So “reduced range and charging capacity” was no small issue.

So I changed my destination to a closer provincial park and headed out with capacity down to 475 km from 518. Topped it up twice (to about 475) with no problem but third attempt maxed out at 350 km.

Got home with all my gear, with 109 km remaining and the car was then towed by Tesla for service. They are providing a rental and all I know is that there are 13 other teslas ahead of me at this Vancouver BC service centre, all waiting for batteries.

Last summer, my 12V battery failed also and required a tow so I’m not having much luck with this car. It’s a dream to drive and a dream to tow with, but this is NOT what I expected from a tesla.

My 2021 Y with dual motors and tow pkg (18k) popped up this message 10 days ago, just as I was about to leave for a camping trip, all loaded with a trailer full of camping gear. So “reduced range and charging capacity” was no small issue.

So I changed my destination to a closer provincial park and headed out with capacity down to 475 km from 518. Topped it up twice (to about 475) with no problem but third attempt maxed out at 350 km.

Got home with all my gear, with 109 km remaining and the car was then towed by Tesla for service. They are providing a rental and all I know is that there are 13 other teslas ahead of me at this Vancouver BC service centre, all waiting for batteries.

Last summer, my 12V battery failed also and required a tow so I’m not having much luck with this car. It’s a dream to drive and a dream to tow with, but this is NOT what I expected from a tesla.
Which SC are you at? I am also in Vancouver, ours is at West 4th.

62k miles on mine, got the message a little over a week ago, took it in yesterday, currently have a loaner. Estimate calls for inspection of firmware for boombox feature (completed), discharge HV battery, remove and replace HV battery, check tire pressure and condition. Based on what Tesla service is telling me and what I see in the forums, there is a very good chance I will be driving the loaner for a while. Before I brought my car in, I grabbed my portable charger, NEMA adapters, CCS adapter, and J1772 adapter, and J-1772 locking ring. The loaner is a 2019 M3LR that is not CCS-enabled.

Mine is still at the service center. The app originally gave me an estimated completion date of tomorrow (10/14/22); based on what I was seeing, I thought the timeline was unrealistic. The staff at the service center agreed; the estimate is now October 19.

They provided a loaner; since that makes time less of an issue, I want them to take the time to get the job done correctly.

Mine is still at the service center. The app originally gave me an estimated completion date of tomorrow (10/14/22); based on what I was seeing, I thought the timeline was unrealistic. The staff at the service center agreed; the estimate is now October 19.

They provided a loaner; since that makes time less of an issue, I want them to take the time to get the job done correctly.
Maybe the original estimate was more realistic than I thought. I got my car back today.

Before I went in, about 220 miles as estimated by the car using the EPA numbers. Now, about 262 miles using the same metric. I've had it back for about a week and plan to take a road trip this weekend.
Interesting. If you look at your part number on the invoice, does it say RMU or RMN or REMANU or anything? Ours does and I'm pretty sure we have a refurb battery, but looks like you got lucky with the range.

Interesting. If you look at your part number on the invoice, does it say RMU or RMN or REMANU or anything? Ours does and I'm pretty sure we have a refurb battery, but looks like you got lucky with the range.
Here's what I see.

Attachments

• parts.png
    parts.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 251
Just to chime in, this error message was showing on my car, a 2021 Model 3 SR+ with around 27,000 miles on it, a few weeks back. Just a rough calculation showed about a 20% reduction in range. I had an appointment scheduled for a Friday about one week after it occurred and Thursday night overnight it wouldn't charge and was showing two additional error messages, BMS_a079 (Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached) and BMS_a074 (Maximum battery charge level reduced). The car had about 35% state of charge which was enough to get me to the service center. When I showed up they said they had already read the logs and I needed a new battery. This Friday will be two weeks at the Service Center waiting on a new battery. It seems like up to 6 weeks was their best guess on a replacement so now I just wait.

Just to chime in, this error message was showing on my car, a 2021 Model 3 SR+ with around 27,000 miles on it, a few weeks back. Just a rough calculation showed about a 20% reduction in range. I had an appointment scheduled for a Friday about one week after it occurred and Thursday night overnight it wouldn't charge and was showing two additional error messages, BMS_a079 (Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached) and BMS_a074 (Maximum battery charge level reduced). The car had about 35% state of charge which was enough to get me to the service center. When I showed up they said they had already read the logs and I needed a new battery. This Friday will be two weeks at the Service Center waiting on a new battery. It seems like up to 6 weeks was their best guess on a replacement so now I just wait.
Which service center has your car?

Hey same situation, 2018 mid range 3, 102k miles, started noticing severe degredation in October, started getting errors in December, drove it anyway because I had no other option. Took it to the Charlotte SC and waiting to find a solution that I can afford, 13k is a bit steep. So its either buy a new battery or trade it for a Y. Estimates for a Y is march.

2021 3 Long Range, and I got the a066 error yesterday. Shortly before, I noticed that my full charge range estimate had dropped from ~340 miles to ~310 miles. Error persisted through a reboot, but disappeared on the next drive. Service is scheduled for Tuesday morning. I'd love for it to be a software issues and see my range come back, but I get the sneaking suspicion it's going to be a new/refurb HV pack.