Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown Error BMS_a066

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P with < 80k miles is in diagnostics right now for the BMS_a066. They’ve had the car for 3 days so far, and just learned the diagnostic is taking longer than expected and they are keeping it for another 5 days at minimum.

Hey guess I’m joining the group. 73k miles currently. Bms _a066 popped up yesterday and keeps popping up . My battery has been dropping in battery capacity over the past two months at a alarming rate . Went from 293 max charge to now 240 miles. Service appointment on the 18th has been setup for the past few weeks . So will see what happens ! Also front drive unit noise on take off the past 40k miles !

Hey guess I’m joining the group. 73k miles currently. Bms _a066 popped up yesterday and keeps popping up . My battery has been dropping in battery capacity over the past two months at a alarming rate . Went from 293 max charge to now 240 miles. Service appointment on the 18th has been setup for the past few weeks . So will see what happens ! Also front drive unit noise on take off the past 40k miles !
If you bring it in without an appointment they will take it right away since it is critical.

I had BMS_a029 and had the whole battery replaced at 16k. After repair they forgot to put a gasket in so there was a whine noise for a month until I brought it in and they figured it out. Also they tore my rear seat and broke a tab under the front passenger seat and now the wires just dangles. Currently I’m at 24k miles so far and lost about 11 miles range at 90% charge which is 259 on a MYP.

Reactions: bradley_it
Ya I’d just drop it off without an appt if you can. It’s gonna be a while too. They offered Uber credits but no loaner sadly. Have been without a car since the 5th but am happy to report they are replacing the HV battery.

Reactions: bradley_it
Ya I’d just drop it off without an appt if you can. It’s gonna be a while too. They offered Uber credits but no loaner sadly. Have been without a car since the 5th but am happy to report they are replacing the HV battery.
I hope you get a HV battery soon, they have had my car since the 24th March and still haven't gotten a HV battery assigned. From the sound of the text I got from them today I don't think I'm getting mine back anytime this month.

I hope you get a HV battery soon, they have had my car since the 24th March and still haven't gotten a HV battery assigned. From the sound of the text I got from them today I don't think I'm getting mine back anytime this month.
I just got my car back yesterday. I have a M3P with 75 kWh. 7 days diagnostic. HV was in stock w/ 3 days of shipping. 4 days to install. So nice to be able to drive it again! I confirmed with the tech the HV was replaced along with a new fuse and some other miscellaneous parts.

I felt bad because I told them while I was grateful for the warranty repair, I wish they would have provided me updates along the way. I was told the shop needs more help and they are just focusing on fixing rather than the communications piece.

The Uber credits are a nice gesture but not always practical. I need to drive 2 hrs to another office every week, and those Uber credits don’t cover a tip or Uber eats (probably for a good reason). It would be nice if they’d give a limit each day on Uber eats because I used that the most for meals without a car.

Last edited:
Our MYP had error code BMS_a066 a couple weeks ago. We scheduled service for the next available appointment which was april 20th. Eventually the car wouldn’t charge anymore and gave error codes BMS_a174, BMS_a066, and BMS_a064. Had to be towed to SC. It’s in service mode now. Maybe I’ll hear something soon. Also, we live 3 hrs away from the SC so we can’t just swing by. But if I was able, I would drop it off without an appointment as soon as possible

Hey Tesla replaced my Hv battery took about 1 week to get the battery shipped too them and a few days to get my car started . 2 weeks total down time . I was provided a Model s loaner while they had my car . Picked up the car 281 is the stated 100% charge on this re manufactured replacement!

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Hey Tesla replaced my Hv battery took about 1 week to get the battery shipped too them and a few days to get my car started . 2 weeks total down time . I was provided a Model s loaner while they had my car . Picked up the car 281 is the stated 100% charge on this re manufactured replacement!
Do you have a LR or P? I have a P and it’s degraded from 271 to 260, about 8k miles into it.

My Turn! Got a BMS_a066 message today as I was leaving for lunch. Have a 2018 M3P with 85,500 miles. Drove down the road to service center and the rep couldn't make heads or tails of it. Teslafi shows battery degradation a little bit more than the same average mile car. Max range of 268 Miles at 100%. (Mostly because I drive it like I stole it.) Am having serviced scheduled. Message went away when I went back to the car. We'll see what happens. Message could be a fluke,
battery_test (3).png

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I ended up getting my HV battery replaced. Took close to three weeks for them to get one and only a couple days to install. Fortunately had a Model S 75D loaner during the process. Definitely a refurbished pack. Max range used to be 280 ish before and now it’s 318 which I’m stoked about.

The only con I noticed is that I can’t seem to charge as fast at a supercharger anymore. It’ll top out at 110kW for a few minutes and then scale down to 75-80kW the rest of the way. This is multiple attempts on different days at a 250kW charger and without anyone adjacent to me. Starting capacity at around 25-35%. Wondering if they limit the charge rate on the refurbs. I’m not too concerned since I charge at home the vast majority of the time but kinda annoying I’m spending a bit more time at a charging station.

Last edited:
My Turn! Got a BMS_a066 message today as I was leaving for lunch. Have a 2018 M3P with 85,500 miles. Drove down the road to service center and the rep couldn't make heads or tails of it. Teslafi shows battery degradation a little bit more than the same average mile car. Max range of 268 Miles at 100%. (Mostly because I drive it like I stole it.) Am having serviced scheduled. Message went away when I went back to the car. We'll see what happens. Message could be a fluke,
View attachment 822214
Just got my car back. Was replaced with a refurbed HV Battery. Estimated range is back up to 310 miles which is nice. Process took about a month with a week of complaints from the car before it decided it didn't want to charge anymore and 3 weeks in service waiting for a pack. This is probably going to mess up the averages on Teslafi to some extent.
battery_test.png

I ended up getting my HV battery replaced. Took close to three weeks for them to get one and only a couple days to install. Fortunately had a Model S 75D loaner during the process. Definitely a refurbished pack. Max range used to be 280 ish before and now it’s 318 which I’m stoked about.

The only con I noticed is that I can’t seem to charge as fast at a supercharger anymore. It’ll top out at 110kW for a few minutes and then scale down to 75-80kW the rest of the way. This is multiple attempts on different days at a 250kW charger and without anyone adjacent to me. Starting capacity at around 25-35%. Wondering if they limit the charge rate on the refurbs. I’m not too concerned since I charge at home the vast majority of the time but kinda annoying I’m spending a bit more time at a charging station.
I'll have to try and see if this is the case with my refurb'd unit.

My wife's 2018 Model X just had the HV battery replaced in April (4 months ago) and just received this error. The SC has had the car for 12 days now and can't tell us what is wrong. Battery Management Issue but it can't be the brand new battery and I'm afraid it has them stumped...

My wife's 2018 Model X just had the HV battery replaced in April (4 months ago) and just received this error. The SC has had the car for 12 days now and can't tell us what is wrong. Battery Management Issue but it can't be the brand new battery and I'm afraid it has them stumped...
Hello Ryan, I am very curious about the replacement battery with the error code bms_a066. What’s the status/update? Technician comments? I’m going into SC tomorrow September 2nd to discuss with them. I also have a replacement battery but lasted a lot longer. I’m out of warranty so I’m just wondering what else did they find that would fix this issue. Please PM me or respond when you can. Would really appreciate it. Thank you

Hello guys my appointment is tomorrow September 2, 2022 Friday in New York. Error message is bms_a066 on a replacement battery. Wondering if anyone has detail knowledge of what this issue is with the bms error. Seems replacement temporarily fixes the issue. In my case I have a replacement battery and out of warranty and don’t have the resources to replace the battery on a 2021 M3LR. Reading all the reviews this doesn’t seem promising the SC knows what’s this code and just replacing battery under warranty. This really sucks. Any feedback?

Got this error about a week ago as well, 2021 M3 SR+. Came up randomly. We always charge to the same level and have noted the rated kms for that charge level dropping every charge as well as the rated range dropping as we drive. Service appointment next Weds. The draft service estimate shows new HV battery needed but they will be doing diagnostics to confirm when we take it in. 29k kms on the odometer. I happen to have a TeslaFi trial right now and in the fleet comparison it shows all similar cars have around 12% higher rated range than we do.

Hello guys my appointment is tomorrow September 2, 2022 Friday in New York. Error message is bms_a066 on a replacement battery. Wondering if anyone has detail knowledge of what this issue is with the bms error. Seems replacement temporarily fixes the issue. In my case I have a replacement battery and out of warranty and don’t have the resources to replace the battery on a 2021 M3LR. Reading all the reviews this doesn’t seem promising the SC knows what’s this code and just replacing battery under warranty. This really sucks. Any feedback?

How would your replacement battery be out of warranty if you have a 2021 LR? You should still have the 8 year warranty...