Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock Mystery Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sixty miles from home surfing. When I got back to the car, it wasn't locked. I was sure I'd locked it with the keycard (on a lanyard around my neck). Did I forget?

Then I saw a notification "The doors are unlocked" which had triggered while I was surfing.

Can you guess what happened? Hint, we have two Teslas.

Today, she had another problem unlocking the car (the correct car, this time) when she thought she was locking it. In both instances, she said she saw the padlock icon close.

Here's my hypothesis:
  1. She brings up the app
  2. The app shows it unlocked, but the app hasn't connected with the car yet.
  3. She taps the lock icon.
  4. The app then connects with the car, and, since the car is locked, unlocks it.
I'm going to test this out, but do you think that would explain it?

Note that my wife is smart and is a former chemical engineer.

Today, she had another problem unlocking the car (the correct car, this time) when she thought she was locking it. In both instances, she said she saw the padlock icon close.

Here's my hypothesis:
  1. She brings up the app
  2. The app shows it unlocked, but the app hasn't connected with the car yet.
  3. She taps the lock icon.
  4. The app then connects with the car, and, since the car is locked, unlocks it.
I'm going to test this out, but do you think that would explain it?

Note that my wife is smart and is a former chemical engineer.

I would suggest turning on walk away lock, and whatever setting it is the honks the horn when the car locks. Then, simply have her walk away from the car whenever she is going somewhere, but listen as she is walking away for the horn to beep, signifying the car is locking. You can get like 80 feet away from the car before it locks, but it will lock. If she doesnt hear the car lock, then she can pull out her phone, look at the app, and lock it remotely.

Alternatively, if think she might be happier with a keyfob cause thats what she is used to, or something, get one of those for her to use.

As for your question, I believe that might be possible but I dont know, I have never tested it. My guess at what would be going on here is perhaps you already have walk away lock on, and she doesnt trust it or is not used to it, so is pulling out her phone the second she gets out of the car, and locking it right when the walk away lock is also activating or just after (thereby unlocking the car).

Reactions: android04