Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking the car with phone/Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past week I have not been able to open my doors immediately with the phone. When I try I can see on the screen says to tap the key card.

My Bluetooth is on and the only way it to turn it off on my phone and then turn it back on and it works.

Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: jkirkwood001
My Unlock on my phone works (using an iPhone 6+ in case that matters). I do have to make sure that the car has woken up of course. I believe I have heard members express the same situation as you as far as turning it off and then on to work.

I kind of have a different problem I've been experiencing in that even with the fold mirrors setting on walk away and locking, it doesn't happen when I exit and leave. Not the mirrors or door locks and I have to check the app and lock it there. Probably something we're doing but it just works on our Model S but maybe we need to read the manual in depth which I haven't done yet. On 2018.36.2 ac4a215. No updates since bringing home.

For the past week I have not been able to open my doors immediately with the phone. When I try I can see on the screen says to tap the key card.

My Bluetooth is on and the only way it to turn it off on my phone and then turn it back on and it works.

Anyone else experience this?
Mine originally worked flawlessly. I upgraded to IOS12 and update 36.2 around the same time.... Since then I've had a number of problems like yours (especially annoying when it's been raining)

Reactions: evpulse
RESOLVED: Make sure that you have "location services" for the Tesla App on your phone set to "always". On an iPhone, go into settings, privacy, location services and change the setting.

Mine stopped letting me start the car when I changed the location services settings to "while using". I didn't realize that was the cause until the thing stopped letting me drive except by using the card. I deleted the phone key on my model 3 (under "locks"), created a new key and set location services on the Tesla app on my phone to always, and the phone once again works perfectly to enter as well as drive the car.

The explanation on my phone under the Tesla app in location services says, "Tesla uses your location to show your proximity to your vehicle (while the app is open) and to optimize phone key on your supported vehicles (while the app is in the background)"

Hope that helps!

Mine originally worked flawlessly. I upgraded to IOS12 and update 36.2 around the same time.... Since then I've had a number of problems like yours (especially annoying when it's been raining)

I went to 12 and the iPhone XS max and now I get the occasional quick walk up and the doors don’t work. I pull out my phone and open the app and then they open. My location services setting is “Always”. I also re-paired my phone and reset my phone as a key as well.

RESOLVED: Make sure that you have "location services" for the Tesla App on your phone set to "always". On an iPhone, go into settings, privacy, location services and change the setting.

Mine stopped letting me start the car when I changed the location services settings to "while using". I didn't realize that was the cause until the thing stopped letting me drive except by using the card. I deleted the phone key on my model 3 (under "locks"), created a new key and set location services on the Tesla app on my phone to always, and the phone once again works perfectly to enter as well as drive the car.

The explanation on my phone under the Tesla app in location services says, "Tesla uses your location to show your proximity to your vehicle (while the app is open) and to optimize phone key on your supported vehicles (while the app is in the background)"

Hope that helps!

I have Android, and my phone hardly every works unless I do Airplane mode on/off before approaching the car. I don't think Android has this "Always on" feature for the Location Services. My app has Location Services enabled, but that's all. Anyone else have a recommendation for letting Android phone-as-key to work better?

I have an iPhone 6S and I have bluetooth set to While Using App so not to drain the battery. While walking out of the door I open the Tesla app and by the time I get to the car the Phone Key is connected, even before the app completes connection to the car. I can open doors and drive.

When I walk away the car locks each time.

I have had no problems in the two weeks I have had the car.

Hope that helps!

I was in this same exact position. I don’t know whether it was the upgrade to IOS 12 for my iPhone X, 36.2, or the upgraded Tesla app, but my phone key started working intermittently after working very well since I got the car in March. A few days ago, I changed the location services for the app to ”Always on” from “While using” and it has worked flawlessly since. Let’s hope it stays that way.

I have Android, and my phone hardly every works unless I do Airplane mode on/off before approaching the car. I don't think Android has this "Always on" feature for the Location Services. My app has Location Services enabled, but that's all. Anyone else have a recommendation for letting Android phone-as-key to work better?
The airplane mode trick wasn't working for me as I had to restart my phone to get it to work for a short while. I was messing around and ended up stopping the Tesla app (in the list of running apps) and then running the app. So far that has been working but there still are times it loses its connection and then I have to do the whole process again. Its faster than restarting the phone... So for me its an improvement!