Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unofficial Tesla Roadster FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually you did, but from an angle that I didn't comprehend in its entirety.
Current and voltage are a little bit technical concepts, power is more mundane and common to people.

If you write that 10minute charging capability requires 300kW of installed power and usual homes have 20 times less power it would be easier to understand.

Thanks for this Tony; an excellent read.

Another possible heading;

"How can you call it a sports car when it only has two gears?"

A chance to mention the other benefits of electric drivetrains - no clutch etc

Obviously, once you get yours, you can write an entry about the handling.

Damit! :)

a few changes. . .

I added sections on Engine Noise and Performance, and I expanded the explanation of Charging Time and Cold Weather performance a bit.

I'm not sure the numbers I quoted for the heater's power consumption are accurate. . . I remember reading that the cabin heater draws 1500 watts and the heated seats draw 60 watts, but I don't remember where I got that from. So it's possible that I could have mis-remembered. Does anybody know?

Last edited:
FAQ comment

In addition, do the estimates still firm at about 200 watt-hours per mile or is there flexibility during the development process?

Tesla Motors - think ?

"... One interesting tidbit: we included heated seats mainly because it is so much more efficient to heat the passenger than to heat the cabin air. Numbers: the cabin heater pulls 3,000 watts, while the seats pull only 60 watts each. Any of you who drives a convertible with heated seats (such as my ‘96 BMW Z3) knows that the seat heaters work a lot better than the cabin heat when the top’s down :) ..." ?

Also, think there is a difference between power and energy ...

Last edited:
"How can you call it a sports car when it only has two gears?"

Yes that needs to be addressed. People have it in their heads that the more gears equals faster car, but in actuality more gears are used by most manufacturers for improved fuel economy. In racing, you do not want to shift. You lose time when you shift and that's the reason Ferrari and others in that class strive for faster shift times. With that in mind the Tesla is SUPERIOR!

vfx said it best here:
The reason that multi geared ICE race cars shift up down and down up so much is because they have to! You are shifting your 5,6,and 7 gears all the time to keep within the motor's limited power-torque band. EVs not as much of a problem.

But shifting is partially what makes a sports car fun.

Last edited:
People have it in their heads that the more gears equals faster car, but in actuality more gears are just for improved fuel economy.
... But shifting is partially what makes a sports car fun.

More gears do help performance in a car with a narrow power band.

For a car with a big torquey V8 (like a Corvette) you don't really need 6 speeds.
But for a high revving small displacement engine you really do need to row the shifter to stay in the power band. Again, the Tesla's very wide, flat, torque curve make more gears unnecessary. People will get over the "fun" of shifting and realize that was just a distraction.

minor update

I added an entry an "Grid Capacity" explaining why electric cars won't cause the US electrical grid to implode.

I'm unsure about explaining why the Roadster has two gears. Is that really a frequently asked question? I don't remember seeing it come up, at least not as a complaint. Certainly nowhere near as often as people complaining about the lack of engine noise.

I sort of wanted to keep the FAQ concise. . . it's already quite a bit larger than I imagined when I started writing it.

I have been making updates to the HTML page. Is there any point in maintaining the ASCII text version alongside it? My inclination is to just scrap the text version and stick with HTML only.