Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Coilovers Installed (M3 SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had Unplugged Performance Coilovers Installed for my M3 SR+ and an OEM stay bar on the rear wheels. The installer lowered the car to a 3 inches gap from body to wheel.

While there has been great improvement in handling, tracking and car control (especially roll), the car is still very harsh on bumps (you really feel a THUD) - though rebound control and distance is much better than stock (much less spongy).

I was hoping the new coilovers would help (they are currently set to front: 21 and rear: 17) and there has been improvement, but not as much as I was hoping for. I tried adjusting the settings to front: 15 and rear: 12 but the car feels like a sponge on the highway.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the harshness? Appreciate your thoughts!

PHOTO-2021-03-26-12-01-49.jpgPHOTO-2021-03-26-12-01-50.jpgPHOTO-2021-03-26-12-01-51.jpgPHOTO-2021-03-26-12-01-52.jpg

To close the loop here, the guys at UP (shoutout Eric and Chris) were amazing.
Turns out I had the configuration setup incorrectly - too stiff compared to their recommended street setting by a factor of 3-4x.

After some trouble reaching the rear knobs (they advised me to try an inclined hill or uneven surface), the guys taught me how to jack up the car properly and make their advised adjustment (super basic I know but this is my first car mod). They were super patient and accommodating, going so far to help me rate my existing jack selection and jack stands for my safety and confidence level, as well as ensure I had all the equipment needed.

The ride quality is now night and day (it was already better than stock originally as mentioned in my first post, but even more comfortable now).

This is probably a weird use for a coil-over kit (not performance, but comfort), but I can't recommend the product enough - worth every penny.

The M3 SR+ is a great car and amazing value for money, especially with the 38500USD tax write off here in Hong Kong and free charging at the majority of public carparks, but boy is the the stock suspension terrible - like riding on rocks.

Thank you UP! Amazing and would happily come back for another product in the future. Shame you have no shop in HKSAR.