Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unresponsive touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting yesterday my touchscreen is unresponsive. There is a message on the dash to press the two scroll wheels to reset the MCU. I tried resetting multiple times, and the issue went away once, but now it is back again. I'm hoping this is a software issue. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
Yes, had it for first time today as well.

Also later in the day the main screen was grey with the Tesla logo on it when I got in the car. Cluster was up as normal. It took a long time for the main screen to come up. It’s as if it crashed. Also extremely rare.

Hopefully they are busy installing/enabling FSD City street Beta 19.2 ;)

Yes, had it for first time today as well.

Also later in the day the main screen was grey with the Tesla logo on it when I got in the car. Cluster was up as normal. It took a long time for the main screen to come up. It’s as if it crashed. Also extremely rare.

Hopefully they are busy installing/enabling FSD City street Beta 19.2 ;)
Did the scroll wheel reset work for you to get the touchscreen working again?

I think I figured it out. After numerous failed reboots, I tried removing anything connected by USB, and then tried rebooting. Took couple more attempts to reboot before the touchscreen worked again.
Very interesting -- I finally got logs from their tech team and it does appear USB inputs (my dash cam drive), was causing issues. Will see if the issue returns, but this appears (so far) to be the main culprit. Been dealing with unresponsive touchscreen issues for a couple years even after multiple FW updates and MCU/screen replacements.

One symptom we observed was that this happened more consistently during hot days (80F deg+ outside which would make the car 130-140F deg in the car). Anyone also see this or have an idea why that was the case?