Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsafe Following Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any indicator on the dash when tesla thinks you are following too close? My 2021 GMC Canyon has an indicator that goes from green to red. I recently had an Audi loaner and it had a red/green indicator., The unsafe following is killing my driving score. I believe that I allow more following room than most other cars on the road but I'm also in stop and go traffic a lot. Spent two hours stop and go on the freeway and between false forward collision warnings when going 5 MPH and the unsafe following, my score went down 5 points.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Spent two hours stop and go on the freeway and between false forward collision warnings when going 5 MPH and the unsafe following, my score went down 5 points.
Oh, and forgot to say, I set my warning to "early", so I will get an indication that something is about to happen to the score if I don't back off. The car uses the medium setting to ding you for fcw regardless of the setting you select. Some people set it to a "late" indication, but that is not good if your goal is to get a notification before the fcw dings you.

Is there any indicator on the dash when tesla thinks you are following too close? My 2021 GMC Canyon has an indicator that goes from green to red. I recently had an Audi loaner and it had a red/green indicator., The unsafe following is killing my driving score. I believe that I allow more following room than most other cars on the road but I'm also in stop and go traffic a lot. Spent two hours stop and go on the freeway and between false forward collision warnings when going 5 MPH and the unsafe following, my score went down 5 points.
Nope. Unfortunately most drivers on the road DO follow too closely. Others have pointed out if you use autopilot, nothing counts against you. However that is full autopilot, if you do not invoke autosteer, it is all on you. So beware. It also only checks following too closely, over 50 mph.

The thing that gets me, is hard stops, I had to learn to run through those just changed traffic signals. If you have to touch the brake pedal to stop, you will probably get dinged for a hard stop. I have had a 100 score for nearly two weeks. Not perfect mind you, but close enough to not kick me off the 100.

Now I just wish I could get the software gods to issue me the FSD Beta again. I had it for nearly a year on my 2018, and miss it. Not that I use it that much, but it is very handy running a straight path with lots of traffic signals. I generally dislike the routing choices it makes for local destinations.

The hard stops is also a problem. I have a steep hill close to my house. The regen is not enough to stop me at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Yesterday, I drove two miles. The only brake I used was at the bottom of the hill and I got dinged for hard braking. Is there some way to appeal some of these false issues? I’ve seen some posts about turning off the FSD request to “reset” your score but it was unclear to me if that works or not.

The hard stops is also a problem. I have a steep hill close to my house. The regen is not enough to stop me at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Yesterday, I drove two miles. The only brake I used was at the bottom of the hill and I got dinged for hard braking. Is there some way to appeal some of these false issues? I’ve seen some posts about turning off the FSD request to “reset” your score but it was unclear to me if that works or not.
I don't have a suggestion for your bottom of the hill problem. But yes, you can opt out of a current FSD Beta request, and then request it again, essentially starting over. I did that when I sent my car into the wrap shop, I didn't want those guys contending with having a pending software update (wishful thinking on my part). I restarted it after I got the car back.

I’m at a 94 score with a 1,000 miles on the new car. What does it take to get the download? I’m unsure about resetting and starting all over although I certainly know more about how to control it than I did in the beginning.