Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Breaking, Unsafe Following, Forward Collision -- warnings when happens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla, but have been driving for 20+ years, surpised to see my Safety Score go down to 87 after a month.

Factors that affect the score:
Forward Collision Warnings 5.7avg
Hard Breaking 5.8%
Aggressive Turning 2,5%
Unsafe Following 10.7% (what distance is considered safe?)

What are those percentages?
And more importantly, any way for Tesla to turn on "warnings" when one of the above "unsafe" events happen, so I know how to adjust my driving behavior?

Thanks for any hints!

I'm curious about this too.

Highway-to-highway cloverleaf interchanges seem to trigger aggressive turning at safe speeds

Getting cut off on (or trying to merge into) highway lanes seem to count as unsafe counting.

If you go to the bottom of the Safety Score screen in the app you can see at what time each event occurred during each of your recent drives.

Reactions: Tagar
Unsafe following is a joke. I get it EVERY SINGLE trip, not because I did anything wrong, but because other drivers squeeze in front of me at exits, corners and in congestion when they want to save 1 second on their 30-minute commute.

Here is a huge downside to Tesla insurance, it's if you have a Performance car and go to the track on the weekend it will screw up your safety score, thus increase your insurance premium. More proof that the safety score isn't as good a thing as Tesla makes it seem.

I found the "secret" to eliminating almost all of my "Unsafe Following" dings. USE AUTOSTEER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Your Tesla will tailgate like the worst driver on the road, so it's a "white knuckle" experience at times, but you won't get dinged for it (except for the rock chips). I had a 96 score on my drive home from my delivery, but it's up to 99 overall for the first month and Tesla just emailed me with my first premium adjustment. After paying $153 for each of my first 2 months, I'll be paying $86.53 for my third month. As long as I can keep it under $100 per month, not including high inflation (which appears to be permanent at this point), I'm doing as well as I did with my 2023 Bolt EUV Premier with AARP discount. If you don't drive like a teenager or someone going through a mid-life crisis, Tesla Insurance will be cheaper than the competition.

I found the "secret" to eliminating almost all of my "Unsafe Following" dings. USE AUTOSTEER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Your Tesla will tailgate like the worst driver on the road, so it's a "white knuckle" experience at times, but you won't get dinged for it (except for the rock chips). I had a 96 score on my drive home from my delivery, but it's up to 99 overall for the first month and Tesla just emailed me with my first premium adjustment. After paying $153 for each of my first 2 months, I'll be paying $86.53 for my third month. As long as I can keep it under $100 per month, not including high inflation (which appears to be permanent at this point), I'm doing as well as I did with my 2023 Bolt EUV Premier with AARP discount. If you don't drive like a teenager or someone going through a mid-life crisis, Tesla Insurance will be cheaper than the competition.
Be careful with this. My wife hand-drives almost always on her car, and I autosteer almost always on mine.

If I get a FCW or any other type of ding, it hits me hard. Like 1 FCW knocks me down from 99 to 97. Two of them knock me down to 96.

My wife can get 3-4 FCW's and still hang at 98.

They are very unclear and claim that AP in encouraged. The trade-off is that any ding is measured against miles you actually drive, so the fewer miles actually driven, the harder a ding hits.

• Informative
Reactions: cyborgLIS