Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unused wire connectors in rear doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I've got 2 connectors taped up and not connected to anything in the rear doors. These are both 2pin connectors.

I don't have premium audio and don't have the extra lighting package... my guess is one connector is for more lighting ... and the other is maybe for a second speaker, I only have the one 8" speaker lower down.

Am I right!? Anybody hook stuff up and see if extra things just work as "expected"?

I've got 2 connectors taped up and not connected to anything in the rear doors. These are both 2pin connectors.

I don't have premium audio and don't have the extra lighting package... my guess is one connector is for more lighting ... and the other is maybe for a second speaker, I only have the one 8" speaker lower down.

Am I right!? Anybody hook stuff up and see if extra things just work as "expected"?

Yes. The PUP puddle lights will work as expected if you plug them in.

The armrest lights may require additional tweaking as there is software involved.

Oh, so wiring harnesses do exist for rear door puddle lights! I knew it! This is the underside of my rear doors:

2018-02-17-led-upgrade-08.jpg

I have extra LEDs from Abstract Ocean for which I did the replacements elsewhere. Sweet. I'll need to cut those openings out.

It's probably just like the option for the LED lights under the front seats for which the wiring exist but not the bulbs (for those of us who didn't opt for the extra $1000 lighting option back in the day). Those wires under the seats are a pain to access though since they're bundled tight with other seat wiring. The rear trunk area in my S85 also has provisions for the LEDs and I bet the wiring for it exists as well:

2018-02-17-led-upgrade-11.jpg