Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual mileage reduction after installing latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 LR RWD and, last night installed 2020.8.1. To my surprise, when I got in the car this morning the range had been reduced by 6-miles overnight. Typically after an update installation, I see a small reduction if any, so this is quite unusual. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks.

Jason

The car knows how much was put in and how much goes out. Unless you run it right down and charge it all the way back up you might not see the full figure of your energy capacity. Mine has and still is 239 in the cold at 100% after various updates. Unless you notice the car not making the trips it used to under the same conditions then its something just to ignore for now.

I have a 2019 Model 3 LR RWD and, last night installed 2020.8.1. To my surprise, when I got in the car this morning the range had been reduced by 6-miles overnight. Typically after an update installation, I see a small reduction if any, so this is quite unusual. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks.

Jason

Anytime you see an increase or decrease after an update, it’s never reflective of your battery degradation. It’s either efficiencies that Tesla has programmed in, which is great, or it’s adjustments to help preserve life of the battery.

It’s hard to determine actual degradation, unless you drive and measure it from high to low charge.

I recommend you place it on percentage, not miles/km’s, and just enjoy the car.