TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upcoming events in MD & PA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mczajka, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Tesla is a pretty heavy car. A lot of Teslas on that ferry doesn't sound like a very hot idea.

• Funny x 1
  2. mczajka

mczajka Member

#3 mczajka, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Not all the cars are Teslas. I'm sure they have a way to monitor load, but I will be bringing a list of the cars and their respective weights. We can always break it up into 2 groups/trips.

The ferry can hold 24 cars, and we only have 8 signed up so far, 3 being Teslas. At that time of the morning on a Saturday, we should be fine.

From the Whites Ferry operator...

40,000 lbs for one vehicle is the weight restriction. We carry multiple horse trailers , dump trucks, tow trucks with vehicles, on a daily basis. On any given day there could be 10 SUV's with 7 passengers crossing. Weight is not an issue.

• Like x 1
  3. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Oh, I guess I didn't realize (or reading comprehension fail) the Ferry was part of that Poolesville meetup. I'm registered for the NDEW event there, but when I saw y'all were meeting up at the Outlets it seemed too far out of the way for me.

Might have to rethink my plan for that day...

4. mczajka

mczajka Member

Great! We're a sponsor of the Poolesville NDEW event, and really excited about it.

Yes, I'm coming up from So. MD in a Spark EV, and I want a backup Fast charge option, so I can either use the Leesburg Outlets or Dulles Town Center eVgos. I always like to have backups.

I just thought it would be neat to get a photo of all the electric cars on the ferry. So, you would either go through VA and meet us, or take the ferry over to VA from MD, and join us (round trip it). The outlet was the most logical place to gather given the eVgo there, if anyone had to use it.

5. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Just so I'm clear, what ferry is this? (Only ferry I've ever been on goes out to Cape May :p )

I'll figure out what makes sense with the timing once I know that. Did you have a Meetup formed around this? I'll have to check when I'm not at work (blocked).

Looking forward to NDEW!

6. mczajka

mczajka Member

Google Maps
    Historic White's Ferry | Facebook
    White's Ferry

7. hacer

hacer Member

What time to catch the ferry to go from MD to VA in time to get right back on the ferry with the VA crowd coming from the Leesburg outlets? That is I don't want to go to Leesburg, just the far side of the river. My son and I think it might be fun to ride the ferry.

8. mczajka

mczajka Member

The crossing takes about 7 minutes +/-
    Unspoken etiquette is be by the car when the ferry operator comes to collect the crossing fee and have your money ready (cash only)

9. mczajka

mczajka Member

Loading/unloading depends on # of cars. We're leaving Leesburg at 9 am

10. mczajka

mczajka Member

• Like x 2
  11. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

• Like x 1
  12. mod3lWii

mod3lWii Member

The University of Maryland event has been rescheduled to the following weekend on 10/8, according to the event page.

13. mczajka

mczajka Member

Thanks for alerting everyone here about the change to October 8th. UMD has a home football game on Oct. 1, so we both agreed to change it so we wouldn't have issues with the lot and parking.

14. mod3lWii

mod3lWii Member

True, as a student I can attest that the campus, especially in terms of parking, becomes a shitshow for lack of a better word