Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from EAP to FSD in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

i just spent 3.6k on update frome EAP to FSD now i wait to see what i get.
For now no update in Tesla
i go to service next week then i will ask for HW3 update and it better be free of charge.

Others ther have tryed to update EAP to FSD in europe????

I‘ll tell you what you will get: HW3 (you paid for it) and useless software.
It’s useless because it‘s been crippled in Europe in the second half of 2019, making it hardly usable and certainly not worth many thousands of dollars/euros.
Tesla is basically fighting lobbyists from the German manufacturers who want to slow down Tesla's progress, at least until they reach a certain technology level themselves. They "helped" to create these crippling EU laws that got implemented in 2019. Tesla HAD to react by speccing-down the Autopilot and FSD firmware for the European market (comply or else...).

Who, talked you into buying the FSD upgrade?
Honestly, get your money back while you still can. Us Europeans will NOT be able to enjoy FSD for years to come. The software we get in Europe has less functionality that in the USA. Don't ask me what exactly, but the fact that Autopilot drives like a moron, like someone that is driving for the very first time (nervous behaviour, phantom brake actions X times a day, doing wierd sh*t, jerky steering in tighter curves like a noob).
When I compare that to the 10000000 of video's on YouTjube of folks in the USA, where the cars seem to drive so much more smoothly and fluidly, I feel cheated. That's point 1.

2. We will never be able to enjoy Full Self Driving in Europe due to Legislation. Even when the Technology does reach a usable level (currently it's far from usefull, it will take years), the lawyers, already rubbing their hands with glee, will start battling it out with armies of other lawyers before self-driving cars are allowed on the road. There are so many steakholders like your state, the other states in the European Union, the car manufacturer, insurance companies, etc. etc. etc.
So when these folks finally get their act together, your car will have long reached it's economic and technical end-of-life. You will never get to enjoy it. Folks that bought into FSD are just laboratory-rats who payed a huge amount of money for something they will never get. Maybe in their next cars but not this one. And ofcourse, the super expensive FSD license is coupled to the car. So that money is lost when they buy another Tesla, for which they would need to fork out a huge sum, again.

Don't forget how Elon Musk has been full of Bull Poo since 2014. In 2014, when Autopilot v1 was introduced, he said "all Tesla's from now on will be able to do full self driving". Nope, AP v1 would not be able to find it's own arse in the dark with a flashlight. The sensors were inadequate.
The same was said about cars with AP v2. And v2.5. All just blah blah blah. The AP2.x computer still too slow. etc. etc. (Tesla offers AP 2.5 to AP3 upgrades but AP2.0 customers are screwed).
Now we are on AP v3 and maybe, maybe the sensors, computers and related hardware are now indeed good enough, but the software will takes years more to develop and mature, despite its fast pace. And then, then the armies of lawyers will get to work. Which will take YEARS too. You do the math.

So no, don't buy FSD. It's a promise Tesla WILL NOT KEEP in the sensible lifetime that you own that car.

I love driving Tesla's. This is my second. But I stopped believing in the "FSD in the near future" story

Sorry mate. This is not what you wanted to hear but at least I’m not full of sh*t...