Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Sound System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’m just terrible at searching on here as I couldn’t find any details….

Question - on the Model Y, Shipping and General Deliveries threads I’ve seen mention of an updated factory fitted sound system the Model Y/3 is now coming with, but no details of what that means. Does anyone have anymore details?

Currently waiting for delivery of MYLR with inductions.

Let's count:
Front sides 4
Immersive Sound 2
Rear Sides 4
Rear back 2
Sub 1

so 13. Was there a little used rear sub?
Sub isn't included, it is 14+sub. You are missing the two in the centre dash. I suspect it will be one of those that is removed.

1643306627375.png

Upvote 0
A bit annoying they're removing speakers and announcing it as an update... fewer speakers seems like more of a downgrade than an upgrade after all! One of the things that most impressed me in my test drive was how good the audio was. I suppose because it was so good, it'll still be pretty good even with one less speaker, but still seems like a weird cost saving decision. I'm sure those speakers cost very little for Tesla to buy.

Upvote 0
Replace 2 with a single elliptical, perhaps, but why bother with such a trivial change.
I'd like to think they would bring the two into a single, better, speaker. Knowing Tesla they may just get rid of the tweeter and keep the existing full range driver. You will see on the diagram that No.7 is the used 7 times - I doubt they would want a different part code just for the centre speaker as it's all about reducing SKUs and inventory for Tesla.

Maybe No.8 is constrained so they are just eliminating the problem.

Upvote 0
Yes but remember that the cost saving of each minor refinement to the production of a vehicle can be multiplied by a million. Add a whole list of those things and the company saves many millions of pounds/dollars.

It gets to the point though, it eventually becomes a car in the next class down.

Although I do wonder if the speaker change is to better enable noise cancellation features - the placement will be important and so any removed may have been unhelpful for noise cancellation. I suspect this will come to the M3/MY, software defined noise insulation.

Upvote 0
It gets to the point though, it eventually becomes a car in the next class down.
My 2019 LR M3 would like to point out that it doesn't have heated steering wheel, auto-boot, usb-c or wireless charging. It certainly looks from down here that Model 3 has moved upmarket. However I will console myself with my additional speaker, bag hooks, and passenger lumbar support.

Upvote 0
My 2019 LR M3 would like to point out that it doesn't have heated steering wheel, auto-boot, usb-c or wireless charging. It certainly looks from down here that Model 3 has moved upmarket. However I will console myself with my additional speaker, bag hooks, and passenger lumbar support.

You have heating system that always works whatever the weather and a boot that does not hit you on the head when the powered strut fails.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Upvote 0
You have heating system that always works whatever the weather and a boot that does not hit you on the head when the powered strut fails.
I have a rear-view camera that's on borrowed time before the coax fails, indicators that bleed light 'by design' straight at the camera, and previously had the exciting risk of the car being completely undrivable if water got into the wiring harness designed to be fitted on the other side.

Upvote 0
I just took delivery of a new 2022 M3P. Sadly, I find myself on this thread because I noticed the sound system is not as good as it was in my 2019 LR. This is really disappointing. With that 1 speaker removed (sounds to me like its removed from the front) the bass is kind of overpowering, even with the EQ adjusted.…

I hope the harness is still there so I can retrofit.
With all the cost cutting measures Tesla has taken in the M3, for the love of god, they should leave the sound system alone!!

Upvote 0