Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from Model Y to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are contemplating upgrading from the Model Y to the Model X for the additional space (usable 3rd row) and higher level of luxury. Is there anything I should consider other than price that would cause me to either stay or upgrade? Any concerns with build quality considering price point?

I have been keeping my eye on the used market but there is a discounted 6 seat model X in my area that I am tempted to dive into.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
We've had both, and I agree with what others have said so far.

I preferred the Y for my mostly-around-town driving because it was smaller - more nimble, more efficient, easier to wash and park. And it's cheaper too, hey. Plus it will (likely) have fewer issues.

But my wife always strongly preferred her X - more comfortable, more features, more room, better view out the windshield, better towing capability. We always took the X on long trips, and even I had to admit it was more suitable there.

Given the little you said about what you're looking for, OP, I suspect you'll be happier in the X...but there are, as always, trade-offs. Oh, and I recently got a Rivian R1S...that also seems like something you might find suitable, unless you need Supercharger access in the next year.

In any event...good luck!

Reactions: Sather
We have a 2022 MYP and recently added a 2023 Model X Plaid. We love both cars. MYP feels sportier as the steering is stiffer, but the Model X plaid feels much more premium inside, suspension rides much better and is a straight rocket; not that the MYP isn’t quick but plaid is on a different level.

With any tesla build quality is always a concern so make sure to do a thorough inspection when you take delivery. Falcon wing doors can be a bit quirky but we love the 6 seat configuration.

Overall, the Model Y is definitely a better value as it’s half the price, but we love our Model X.

I have also been looking into either a new MY or a used MX, as my M3 is getting to be too low for easy entry/exit. As I get older, I realize that comfort becomes very important. Because of that, I'm seriously looking at used MX's in my area. I'm sure that the MX will cost more to maintain, but to me it is a worthy trade-off.

Do several test drives and I'm sure that your personal path forward will become clearer.

Thanks everyone. This would be the largest auto purchase I've ever made, so am hesitant given some of the quality issues. We have a model Y and Model 3 and at their price points I'm ok with less than "premium" given there is no comparable product.

I do really like the R1S and and tempted to buy that and use our Y for trips and sell the 3. But I always come back to Tesla being better overall and why would I want to keep my most expensive car at home for trips.

R1S is a really nice form factor - It has capabilities X doesn't have, and X has capabilities it doesn't have. I'd wait to see how the NACS/Supercharger integration works out before moving into a non-Tesla if I were you/me, but otherwise I have no reservations about the Rivian (I also don't have a reservation for one, yet).

X is certainly nicer inside than Y, but that's a low bar. I think the R1S feels better-built overall, but they both have new-car-manufacturer feel to some of the bits and pieces.

Reactions: El joe and Sather
Check with your local facebook groups and see if there is someone selling a model X that meets your needs. We own both. My wife LOVES her MX. I like the MY. it's more of a sportier driving machine but the MX makes for a nice road trip car. Love that front windshield and the FWD!!

We've had both, and I agree with what others have said so far.

I preferred the Y for my mostly-around-town driving because it was smaller - more nimble, more efficient, easier to wash and park. And it's cheaper too, hey. Plus it will (likely) have fewer issues.

But my wife always strongly preferred her X - more comfortable, more features, more room, better view out the windshield, better towing capability. We always took the X on long trips, and even I had to admit it was more suitable there.

Given the little you said about what you're looking for, OP, I suspect you'll be happier in the X...but there are, as always, trade-offs. Oh, and I recently got a Rivian R1S...that also seems like something you might find suitable, unless you need Supercharger access in the next year.

In any event...good luck!
How does the R1S compare with the X? I have a Y but would like to upgrade at some point.

Of course it all depends on what's important to you, but I'll list some of the differences I've noticed.

The X is 6" shorter, more efficient, has Supercharger access now rather than next year, has auto-close doors, much better music options, has more comfy seats (for us, anyway), autopilot works in far more places, pano windshield, and it's got all the games, Netflix, etc. My wife prefers the X, but I think it's mostly because of the seats and familiarity - she's barely tried the R1S yet.

The R1S has more cargo space, a power frunk, far better off-road ability, better towing ability (including a larger battery, so towing might reduce range by a smaller percentage), easier-to-access hitch, built-in brake controller, a nicer interior, simple wiper and light controls on a stalk (but you don't need them because the auto operation is better), Driver+ seems more solid where it works, 120V outlets, compressor, cooled seats, and several other small niceties. The R1S is my first non-Tesla since 2009 and I've only had it 6 weeks so I'm still getting used to it, but I prefer it to the X.

The X sits lower and for as large as it felt to me when we first got it, it feels more like driving a car, where the R1S feels closer to driving a truck. Both are too big for me to find it fun to throw them in to a corner, so given that I'm avoiding that in both, I slightly prefer driving the R1S. (Over the X, that is. My Y, 3, Roadster and our S's were all more fun to drive than the R1S).

I think most people are going to be pretty happy in either vehicle!

Last edited:
So change of plans. My wife was in Chicago this weekend and one of her friends works for Rivian. It was brought up that Friends and Family could be used to get us an R1S sooner (1-2 months). I have since cancelled my reservation to go test drive an R1S. I am somewhat nervous about this given the possibility of Rivian not being around in 3 years (small chance, but a worry). Otherwise I think I like the styling and the materials better on the R1S. The Dual motor bigger pack is 10K less than the X I spec'd. We are going to hold onto the Y for road trips until everything is sorted out with Rivian Charging on the Tesla Network.