Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Backup Gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or at least more affordable. Features at nearly twice the price of a PowerWall at similar energy capacities is basically VHS vs Beta again.

But it's Shell, so they're probably more likely to eventually shut down Sonnen than make it competitive and long-running.
Well, it might be expensive, but Tesla:
1. Couldn’t tell me when I could have it
2. Felt they needed a big trench from garage to utility room
3. Could only promise backup of a small subset of my needs and specifically nothing in my garage
4. Could not backup my geothermal

Whereas, Sonnen is being installed in April. No trenching. Safe for use during grid outage. Can back up my geothermal heating and cooling.

It might be expensive, but I’m not sure who is VHS and who is Beta. I love Tesla, but they don’t care about customers like me with a large electric home.

Reactions: NuShrike
It's not that big a "limitation" because my power supply can go years without ever going off and if it does it's less than an hour. Backup is not the main motivator, using solar after the sun has gone down is. It will backup one of my 3 phases up to 7kW peak and 5kW nom. If split over all 3 phases then you'd assume about 1.7kW per phase. I just need to put some essentials on the phase I wish to backup like lights, fridge, PC and aircon in one room. Easy to do on 5kW.
You are very lucky. In the nearly one year I have had my Powerwall system, it has logged 15 outage events totalling 12 hours. None of this has been due to extreme weather or earthquakes. This is just how my local grid is.

Backing up only one phase on a 3-phase household is like a "essential loads" backup installation here in the States. People who do whole house backup usually have more than one Powerwall, so I would expect the same for a 3-phase Australian household. Yet, 3-phase backup is not supported.

Baker Electric just completed our 2x Powerwall 2 install today (we also have 12.5kW SunPower solar for over a year now).

The Gateway they installed is not the Gateway 2, its the grey box.

Now impatiently waiting for final inspection so we can turn them on!

I am trying to finalize my Tesla Solar and Powerwall install for later this month and specifically asked about them installing the Gateway 2. They said that was what I was going to get. I should know for sure in about two weeks.
Install done yet? Did you get gateway 2? I have my install in 4 weeks. I have not asked about this, but curious if they have started switching over yet.