Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading NEMA 14-50 to HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, HOA let me in after i emailed them for access.

View attachment 396009 View attachment 396010 View attachment 396011

Doh! I needed to see underneath that black plastic flip up thing that feeds your unit. That is where the breaker is. I don't suppose you looked under that did you? (it is a rainproof cover for external installation)

Also, if you had a step stool and could read the wire ratings off the unpainted portion of the wire going up into the ceiling that would be useful to figure out what the exact ampacity of that wire is (just in case it would allow for a larger breaker to be installed or something...) Pictures of any writing on it are even better. But really we just need to know what the wire gauge of the "hot" conductors is.

Edit: I just went and looked it up. That model of meter stack is rated to 125a per meter. So the question is what size breaker did they actually install (a high likelihood it was 125a, but we will see once you figure it out).

Last edited:
50A is plenty for all but the most demanding drivers...I would either make a pigtail or just remove the outlet and put a flexible armored cable coming out of its box to the HPWC. For the latter, get a flat junction box cover with a knockout in the middle, put a flexible metal conduit/armored cable connector in the knockout, and run the FMC to your HPWC nearby. I'd use a FMC connector with a 90 degree elbow (like this one) but it's up to you.