Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper control arms - unexpected sealant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Raven Model X with 51k miles and started hearing a metallic clunk from the front / left side at low speed going over uneven roads. After some research, it sounds likely the issue is the ball joint on the upper control arms. I also have had occasional creaking when turning the wheel as well. So I took a quick look on the driver's side to see if there was anything obviously out of place and saw this:

IMG_6190.jpeg

I've only had it serviced by Tesla. It appears that at some point Tesla applied some sort of sealant to the top of the upper ball joints at the end of the front control arms (both sides). I'll jack it up and pull the wheels soon to see if there seems to be any clear cause for the noise. Otherwise I'll just replace the upper control arms (likely the Dorman versions sold by EVAnnex). While I'm in there should I replace the lower control arms as well? They don't seem to have the same kind of regular issue as the uppers do.