Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB device malfunction - I/O Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this USB malfunction error a software error/glitch?

2022 Model Y - currently on 2024.2.6

I had service swap out the Tesla branded usb stick for a brand new one under warranty. This seemed to solve the problem temporarily until it came back again.

2022 Model Y, 2024.2.7

Same problem. Restarting the car with the USB unplugged and plugging back in fixed but came up again a day later. Going to try getting a SSD and using the usb c port. The USB A port can be the charger now…

2022 Model Y, 2024.2.7

Same problem. Restarting the car with the USB unplugged and plugging back in fixed but came up again a day later. Going to try getting a SSD and using the usb c port. The USB A port can be the charger now…
Good to know. The dashcam still seems to be recording footage despite the error so that makes me think it's a software issue. Worth a try.

2022 Model Y with Tesla OEM center storage compartment usb-c module which supports data & power, installed by Tesla after I got the car. I have this same issue with my center console usb-c ports. Started in late 2/2024 after a software update. My usb-a port in glovebox works fine. In fact, if I connect a usb bridge to glovebox usb-a port, then my usb-c device works fine in the glovebox even if I unplug and plug in again. On the flip side, if I use a usb-a to usb-c adapter and plug a usb-a device (connected to the adapter) in to the center storage usb-c, the device works fine even if I unplug and plug in again.

It is like the center storage usb-c port on the computer is not looking for usb-c usb 3.x plug/unplug events properly. Hopefully tesla sees our I/o warnings and corrects this bug.

Last edited:
Just got this error on my Model Y, Ive been using the same SSD drive for 2 years now, the car wont recognize any USB stick plugged in. USB-C still providing power to the wireless charger. I dont have anything else plugged in, just the OEM wireless charger and sentry drive.

I tried using different USB drive, restarting the car. Car wont recognize any USB data anymore at all. I checked on PC and the drive is working fine, so it must be the car. Got appointment for a few days from now.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just got this error on my Model Y, Ive been using the same SSD drive for 2 years now, the car wont recognize any USB stick plugged in. USB-C still providing power to the wireless charger. I dont have anything else plugged in, just the OEM wireless charger and sentry drive.

I tried using different USB drive, restarting the car. Car wont recognize any USB data anymore at all. I checked on PC and the drive is working fine, so it must be the car. Got appointment for a few days from now.
I’d also tag @Tesla on a post on X social platform. That’s what I did today. 🤷‍♂️ Not an official communication channel but one of the few routes we got.

I'm having this issue on a 2020 MY. Unlike the 2022, the USB port for the Cam video is in the center console beside the charging UBS instead of in the glove box. I also had the USB module changed in a service call with no improvement. Unlike user Chrushev, a reboot brings it back until the next deep sleep, like overnight in my garage. A great feature rendered unreliable.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54