Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

USB Drive reformatted for dashcam use.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla owners. I had some trouble with some Sandisk USB drives after some firmware updates. Car kept saying my drive was too slow (even though it did write many dashcam videos prior to it saying that). I did some research and found some USB 3.0 drives. I've got 10 64gb and 10 128gb drives which don't have any issues working with my Model 3. I've preformatted them all in fat32 (which in itself is a nuisance since all the current OS's don't offer that any more. Grrr.) and already installed the "Teslacam" folder on them. If anyone is interested in purchasing one let me know. ($40 for the 128gb, and $25 for the 64gb). I'm using 2 128 myself (swapping when 1 gets full) for the dashcam and a 3rd for music/ebooks for the audiosystem). I even did a test (unintentionally)on one of them - leaving it submerged in an inch of diet coke for 6+ hours (it still works. I was amazed). Email me.
[email protected]

Local (SF area) pickup ok. If you want it shipped, you pay for shipping.

since all the current OS's don't offer that any more..

point of correction: linux has NEVER removed features, over its lifetime. you can format fat32 or ntfs or ext4 or even that apple stuff ;)

linux is still a current os. you can download free versions, copy to usb stick, boot from it and make any format you want for your target usb stick.

that's all I wanted to say. ok, carry on ;)

well, you could just do this:

(insert usb drive)
sudo bash
mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/TeslaCam
umount /mnt
(remove usb drive)

once you learn that, you can keep doing it for each new drive that you buy.

its not hard, it does not take a lot of time and its all free.

always has been.

windows and mac are NOT the whole world. guys, our CAR runs linux.

download an .iso image from any linux site, boot into its gui (no need to install) and learn how to format your own drives.

this is useful info that you, as tesla owners, should have.