Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X Sentry / Dashcam USB drives failing issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ended up returning the Sandisk Reader and 1TB Extreme Micro SD. Could not get it for work for DASH CAM / SENTRY. Formatted as Dos-Fat and ExFat. Would reformat in the car and read "success", However DASHCAM was unavailable and said to check the USB. It would show up as an external storage device that I could do nothing with. If anyone has any helpful information, Id really like to upgrade the memory/storage and quality of sentry if possible. Ive read that the SSD's are not great for constant read/write functions, that is why I chose the MicroSD option. ANY SUGGESTIONS? please help.

I use a high performance micro SD card (I picked one that was recommended for BlackVue dashcams) and a sandisk microSD-> USB adaptor. It took me a couple of goes to get the right adaptor. (The jaycar ones don’t work) I just don’t think USB drives are engineered the same as micro SD as no one else uses USB for dashcams other than old Teslas.

SD card is Samsung endurance PRO 128GB
adaptor is Sandisk micro SD to USB A 3.0
Which year and model did you use these on? I just purchased that same exact Micro SD card, but I drive a 2018 Model 3, which I believe has USB 2.0 inputs, and not USB 3.0. Will a USB 3.0 adapter be okay to use? If not, I may need to find a USB 2.0 adapter for my "old" Tesla. Need to figure this out, because I can't get the dash cam and sentry mode to record.

Which year and model did you use these on? I just purchased that same exact Micro SD card, but I drive a 2018 Model 3, which I believe has USB 2.0 inputs, and not USB 3.0. Will a USB 3.0 adapter be okay to use? If not, I may need to find a USB 2.0 adapter for my "old" Tesla. Need to figure this out, because I can't get the dash cam and sentry mode to record.
2016 modelX, and yes USB3.0 is backward compatible