Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Flash Drive for audio not recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a USB flash drive formatted as exFAT and I have mp3 files on it.

I have a Tesla model Y bought last month brand new.

I am using the compartment USB-C ports as per the Tesla owners manual it says these ports can be used to play audio files.

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 5.08.10 PM.png

What could be the issue here that the USB drive is not showing up in the Media sources? The brand of the flash drive is Lexar USB 3.2 and its 64GB.

Further down in the manual, there is this note... Tesla changed center console ports to be charge-only ports or not data-capable. You can, however, replace that module with an aftermarket data-capable module. That's what I did to my 2022 Model Y.

View attachment 1003138

Something like this... USB-C Upgrade Module (for data)
Yeah, but if you'll note on that page, it's not for any HW 4.0 cars...so new Y's need not apply apparently. Has anyone seen one of these modules that states they will work with the new version?

I am using the compartment USB-C ports as per the Tesla owners manual it says these ports can be used to play audio files.

View attachment 1002965

What could be the issue here that the USB drive is not showing up in the Media sources? The brand of the flash drive is Lexar USB 3.2 and its 64GB.
What I did, and I think is the simplest solution, is to use a larger usb flash drive in the glove compartment. It needs to be partitioned three ways, one for dashcam/sentry, one for Audio, and the third for Boombox.

HERE is a thread dealing with this. There are also several YouTube videos showing how to do it.

What I did, and I think is the simplest solution, is to use a larger usb flash drive in the glove compartment. It needs to be partitioned three ways, one for dashcam/sentry, one for Audio, and the third for Boombox.

HERE is a thread dealing with this. There are also several YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Actually you only need two partition, one for DashCam/Senrty and the other for everything else. You just need to label the folders correctly and place them at the root of the 2nd partition.

Agree that a larger drive in the glove box with partitions is best.

Reactions: Alonzo
A quick question for Carlos. Did using an aftermarket USB module give you gapless Playback?
I only use the additional usb for things like additional light shows or boombox sounds. I hated the usb implementation for USB music playback. Seemed too hard to find things or it would forget where it was and start over playlists, etc so I removed all music and just stream via streaming app or Apple Music now.

View attachment 1002965

Outdated information. Confirmed by Tesla. HW4 and new MCU do not have USB input unlike HW3. This means the only data part on HW4 MY is the one in the glove box, a puny USB 2.0 outlet. You can add a USB hub and make it sing but I carry all my music on my iPhone anyway so it automatically connects via Bluetooth and for long journeys I can simply toss my iPhone on the charge pad and I am good to go. The USB drive is a backup just in case I forget my phone which is unlikely as it is my phone key as well. Talk about Tesla getting rid of features! Even the tech guys were confused.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I only use the additional usb for things like additional light shows or boombox sounds. I hated the usb implementation for USB music playback. Seemed too hard to find things or it would forget where it was and start over playlists, etc so I removed all music and just stream via streaming app or Apple Music now.
Agree. The media player is deliberately stupid. Its just downright idiotic.. Tesla wants everyone to be connected paying 100 bucks a year and dont really want to make it easy on any other source. You have to pony up for convenience or use your phone to stream music. What a downgrade!

Reactions: QUBO
They do give you a lot for 10 bucks a month I just wish it offered more choices
like Android Auto, Native Waze and y tube music.
Just like everything else Tesla has done so far, its chop chop for service and pony up for the money! Wait for a little longer after all the USB data ports have been deleted in all the new and upcoming models and then its time to pay up a lot more.

Well they really dropped the prices last year, by a lot . Some of the details and for things like this have been ignored in the mad rush to get product out . I have FOMO sadness about not getting hardware 4 but the deletion of usb data seems pretty lame . Also no front camera or radar of path to upgrade without going aftermarket for the same thing.
Oh yeah and BMW was trying to charge monthly fees to use your seat heaters.

Well they really dropped the prices last year, by a lot . Some of the details and for things like this have been ignored in the mad rush to get product out . I have FOMO sadness about not getting hardware 4 but the deletion of usb data seems pretty lame . Also no front camera or radar of path to upgrade without going aftermarket for the same thing.
Oh yeah and BMW was trying to charge monthly fees to use your seat heaters.
Yes! I remember that! It backfired spectacularly on BMW and they quickly backtracked. What next? Pay subscription for AC and Heat? LOL