Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2020 Model 3 - Dashcam intermittent to none

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason and I do not know when it started, dashcam videos have stopped recording. However sentry continues to record.
How do I know it stopped recording? We got hit by a bmw x7 suv and there was no dashcam videos at all. None for today, yesterday last week.
I know it worked before when I enabled it and tested it a 5weeks ago.

I have the following version: 2022.12.3.7.5

Anyone else seeing this?

Sentry doesn’t record separately from the dashcam, it just saves dashcam video when an event is detected. Maybe you turned off the dashcam by mistake? I think Sentry will still force it to record in that case. Remove your USB and check it on a computer to see what’s there.

For some reason and I do not know when it started, dashcam videos have stopped recording. However sentry continues to record.
How do I know it stopped recording? We got hit by a bmw x7 suv and there was no dashcam videos at all. None for today, yesterday last week.
I know it worked before when I enabled it and tested it a 5weeks ago.

I have the following version: 2022.12.3.7.5

Anyone else seeing this?
2022.12 had a bug that dismounts the dashcam.
Fix for Tesla ‘Dashcam Unavailable’ Bug Coming Says Elon Musk - TeslaNorth.com

This bug was fixed in later 2022.16 versions.

I suggest having your dashcam as a permanent app icon on the bottom so you can see when it is dismounted. When it is dismounted it shows a red X.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sentry doesn’t record separately from the dashcam, it just saves dashcam video when an event is detected. Maybe you turned off the dashcam by mistake? I think Sentry will still force it to record in that case. Remove your USB and check it on a computer to see what’s there.
I removed usb drive and checked if any videos on a win11 laptop and no dashcam videos.
Took it for an early drive to Starbucks this morning and checked again from co sole then win11 laptop and no dashcam video. I also rebooted the console last night.
Here's the setting i have let me know if settings are incorrect.

Attachments

• 20220918_095211.jpg
    20220918_095211.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 76
As mentioned later firmwares should fix but also try a reboot, check for USB properly seated (sometimes removal and reinstall fixes). USB drives can fail. IF you have another try it. Don't forget to format the drive (the safety page now has a format button). Also in addition dash cam on auto select on honk.

I removed usb drive and checked if any videos on a win11 laptop and no dashcam videos.
Took it for an early drive to Starbucks this morning and checked again from co sole then win11 laptop and no dashcam video. I also rebooted the console last night.
Here's the setting i have let me know if settings are incorrect.
Look on your controls screen. The Dashcam icon needs to show a red dot for it to be recording:
GUID-C919FD4D-10B9-49FE-A124-7B36EAB93290-online-en-US.png

Again I suggest you add the dashcam icon to bottom of your screen. It will show an x when it is dismounted (here is the regular icon).

GUID-A9453920-A048-4311-A3E5-246335FA4004-online-en-US.png

So the car is now on version 2022.24.8.
Now when I open the dascam app it shows nothing but a black window where the app normally opens in.

I have already rebooted the console and reseated the usb drive. There is only 46gb used space out of the 256gb.

I'll have the Tesla tech look at it this Friday. I scheduled service for the harness recall and they scheduled for this Friday.

Thanks

Tech came. Did the wiring harness recall. He checked my dashcam issue. Then he pulled out the 3rd party usb hub that held my 256gb drive, bounced the console, after console came back he plugged my USB drive back in and it was seen and the red dot came back. Took it for a test drive and back. Dashcam video recorded.
Dude said to not use those 3rd party hubs and not to split to a wireless charger.
Suggested to get one of those cigarette lighter adapters with 2 usb ports for the wireless charger. I happened to have one and we're good now.
He also said if it does it again the hub behind the usb ports may need to be replaced.

Tech came. Did the wiring harness recall. He checked my dashcam issue. Then he pulled out the 3rd party usb hub that held my 256gb drive, bounced the console, after console came back he plugged my USB drive back in and it was seen and the red dot came back. Took it for a test drive and back. Dashcam video recorded.
Dude said to not use those 3rd party hubs and not to split to a wireless charger.
Suggested to get one of those cigarette lighter adapters with 2 usb ports for the wireless charger. I happened to have one and we're good now.
He also said if it does it again the hub behind the usb ports may need to be replaced.
What brand of third party hub?

The hub is Taptes. Can't remember what the wireless charger brand was. I selected it because it was higher power wireless charger.
If I were to guess, the drain from the wireless charger (2 sides) plus drain from the usb drive plus drain for the hub may be the issue.

I think typical USB power is 500ma.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass