Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used LR Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently being offered a Rebuilt Titled 2018 LR Model 3 with 7k miles on it for 35k. It doesn't have FSD, just basic AP. The dealership is offering a warranty on everything except the battery (3 year 50k mile) for 3k. The title is rebuilt because it was labeled as Flood Damaged. The guy is saying that it didn't get any water and that insurance just claimed it as a loss because of the flood zone it was in. I'm 90% sure im deff not going to do it, but i thought i would just get everyone opinion on it. Is considering buying a used Model 3 without a warranty worth it in general?

Thanks in advance.

if you're the sort of car owner who keeps a vehicle until the wheels falls off and you're willing to accept some risk, it could be a good way to get a discount. I've definitely considered cars with a mark on the title, but it was for minor accidents, not anything related to water. I personally wouldn't do it. If you ever try to sell the car, it would be a real headache. I think it's also kind of nervy of them to sell you an additional warranty rather than simply include it. If they were confident the car never saw water, I feel like they would keep the original warranty term. You're looking at a car that is so reliant on electronics and would be costly to repair outside of warranty, that I personally wouldn't take the risk. If this were a 4Runner? sure by all means go for it. I think the equivalent risk for ICE is closer to an out of warranty, late model BMW M5 that may have seen water. Not the old analog M5's that are a mechanics dream, but the new electronic-everything M5's that plummet in value.

If you want a Model3 around that price, I would check out an SR+ in inventory right now. They've been popping up a lot lately especially outside of CA and if you're willing to travel a bit you could probably snag one before year end and still get the tax credit. I'd take a full warranty new SR+ over the LR you described in a second!

I can’t tell from the OP it the seller is Tesla or a third party. They refer to a “dealership”, which of course Tesla does not have. But some people refer to their local sales or delivery center as a dealership so who knows.

In any case, I’d say it’s worth $20-$25K at most. I paid $34K for my LR RWD in March after incentives and discounts so a damaged one can’t be worth $35K.