Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S Pricing Right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isn’t true. I traded in a Lincoln Navigator and they wouldn’t pay fair value. I HAD to take it to car max to get Tesla to match the price. This just happened in the last month and a half.

Well, I was assured by people at my local Tesla store that they would pay KBB fair value for my VW or any other car I trade in, but not my Model S. If your experience becomes widespread, then that just makes Tesla even worse in my eyes.

• Funny
Reactions: Saxgod
I started a similar thread but no real clarification except "it's Tesla"
When I'm bored I sometimes look again - it is location dependent but the other day I found a used 2019 S LR 100 low mileage (300 miles) that was lacking 1 year of the 8 year warranty (said exp in 7 years) without free SC, essentially the same care new WITH free SC was 2k less! (of course destination fee would eat up some of that) -kept going back and forth between pages to make sure I hadn't missed an option. I'd certainly pay less for a new car with free SC and a full 8 year warranty if I was in the market., but what do I know?
I think right now the prices of new Model S are unusually low/discounted to clear them out for the end of the quarter. Otherwise there is no explanation for why slightly used are more expensive than new.

And Tesla offers an additional 4yr 50k mile warranty on their used cars. When you buy a used Toyota, Ford, etc, you get the balance of the factory warranty unless they CPO it and add that additional coverage. CPO cars cost more than unwarranted used ones. Either because of a perceived, or real, additional value that comes with that extended warranty. With a Tesla I would definitely want the extra coverage, after hearing the stories about $1000 door handles and yellowing screens.

I think right now the prices of new Model S are unusually low/discounted to clear them out for the end of the quarter. Otherwise there is no explanation for why slightly used are more expensive than new.

And Tesla offers an additional 4yr 50k mile warranty on their used cars. When you buy a used Toyota, Ford, etc, you get the balance of the factory warranty unless they CPO it and add that additional coverage. CPO cars cost more than unwarranted used ones. Either because of a perceived, or real, additional value that comes with that extended warranty. With a Tesla I would definitely want the extra coverage, after hearing the stories about $1000 door handles and yellowing screens.

I didn't trade my old beemer because the offer was very low, and in fact I'm keeping the car. I've put a lot of money, sweat and tears into it, and the used car market for old German luxury is awful.

In terms of lux brand CPO (Audi, Benz, Beemer), I've noticed they've gone away from the 6 year/100 K CPO power train warranty and now extend the manufacturer new car warranty for 1 year unlimited miles. Probably more cost effective for them.

I didn't trade my old beemer because the offer was very low, and in fact I'm keeping the car. I've put a lot of money, sweat and tears into it, and the used car market for old German luxury is awful.

In terms of lux brand CPO (Audi, Benz, Beemer), I've noticed they've gone away from the 6 year/100 K CPO power train warranty and now extend the manufacturer new car warranty for 1 year unlimited miles. Probably more cost effective for them.
Yep. I think Porsche is the only one that still offers a decent CPO program.

Doesn't that just mean a 5 year warranty, then, since most new cars offer a 4 year warranty?