Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S Vehicle History

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short Version:
If your looking to buy a used Model S from a private seller then request that the current owner obtain a vehicle history report from Tesla before ownership change takes place. If you do not get this info at that time you cannot in the future.

Not so short version:
I purchased a used P85 from a private seller in Richmond VA. Once I got hit home there were some items I noticed that needed to be repaired under warranty (details can be found here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...d-battery-failure-just-occured-a-few-days-ago). A fellow forum member: zwede had a great suggestion to get the history of the vehicle. This way I can see if any other repairs were made prior to me. So I emailed Jonathan at the Rockville SC and he informed me that "Due to privacy laws, we are unable to provide repair history to my purchase of the Model S." I thought seems strange but maybe they are trying to protect the previous owners personal information, cool. So I reply well can I have the previous owner request this information. Jonathan replies "The previous owner would be able to request the history during their ownership". So i'm thinking well, they're no longer the owner so that doesn't help me. So I reply what is private about the previous maintenance/repairs? I figured maybe we can work around the private information such as the previous owners personal information. Jonathan replies "All maintenance/repairs that were made or performed to the Model S before I took ownership". I find it strange and kind if irritating that Tesla would not provide this information to a new owner.

With more and more used Model S' becoming available in the market. I thought this would be beneficial to those in the market looking for a gently used Model S from a PRIVATE SELLER. If you buy from a dealer I would only assume you still could not get the vehicle history as the dealership is not the registered owner and if they were they couldn't obtain the history during the period of the previous owner that sold it or traded it in. For those of you selling your Model S in the near future would you be so kind as to obtain this history report prior to ownership transfer.

Good suggestion. This is definitely something people in the secondary market need to keep in mind

But Tesla's position makes a lot of sense ethically and legally. My Tesla vacuums up a lot personal information on a day-to-day basis. I don't want it shared with anyone without my permission. Yeah, there are entities (like law enforcement) that can get their hands on it without my explicit permission. But I already know that, and I generally know who they are. If I sell my car to you, I don't want you knowing anything I did with my car, other than the info I choose to share with/release to you.

How does Tesla know what I do -- or do not -- want shared?

I'm actually glad (but not surprised) to hear Tesla is taking this stand. And if you ever sell your car, I think you will be too.

K9s and Me

Perosnal informaion makes sense, but vehicle history in terms or repairs, upgrades made by Telsa not so much. I wouldn't won't my personal information out there either, but there is nothing wrong with a buyer to obtain history report on any repairs done under or out of warranty in the Tesla Service Centers.
It's a normal practice through other dealers and I've done it a few times.

You're right, in theory. But when a company has as much personal info as TM does, I think it can make owners itchy if the manufacturer is releasing information without consent.

When I moved out of state, my Nissan dealership printed up all my records. Other than warranty records that go to NissanUSA, they said they don't release any info to anyone, including other Nissan dealers, due to privacy concerns. I don't know if that's just that dealership, if it's Nissan, if it's state law, or what the deal was. But when I told them I was moving, they handed me a packet of documents without my asking. Erring on the side of being cautious seems prudent.

Which brings us to the following suggestion: I would love to have a way for owners to access the information Tesla collects from our vehicles. I imagine it could be done via a portal where the owners can see the info collected (perhaps sans of the diagnostics internal to Tesla, although an engineer in me wants to see that too), filter the info by type and date range, export it or enable third-parties to see certain parts of it (potential buyers). Would be cooler, deeper and more reliable than CarFax. This only increases resale value and is aligned with Tesla's interests.

FWIW, I always print out maintanance history of my cars before I sell them and make it available for buyers. Can't imagine a case why I would want to withhold anything (but I do not deny that cases like this may exist for other owners).

That's how I feel. I am not asking for Tesla to send me PII (personally identifiable information) or even the data that was uploaded from my Model S. But they should be able to tell me that the Model S has had the following maintenance/repairs performed: Tire Rotation at whatever miles, windshield wipers replaced, BLAH BLAH BLAH replaced under goodwill, drive unit replaced at whatever miles, door handle operation adjusted, etc... That info should not be considered private.

K9s and Me

Perosnal informaion makes sense, but vehicle history in terms or repairs, upgrades made by Telsa not so much. I wouldn't won't my personal information out there either, but there is nothing wrong with a buyer to obtain history report on any repairs done under or out of warranty in the Tesla Service Centers.
It's a normal practice through other dealers and I've done it a few times.

I believe you misinterpreted what he meant by "The previous owner would be able to request the history during their ownership".

He's saying the previous owner can still request the history, but only for service done while they owned that vehicle.