Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local dealer to me has a 67 plate Model X on at £45k which seems a decent price. It has, however, done 80k miles.

Is there anything I should look out for? Is the car just best avoided? I was about to press go on a Model Y, but having 3 kids an X is of interest.

Is there any way of checking if it still has free supercharging?

I've had a Model X for five years, so things I'd ask about or investigate would include:
  • Has the paint rubbed off where the falcon wing doors close? This is a common issue.
  • When was the last time the MCU was replaced? If it hasn't been replaced, it might fall over at any minute because of the eMMC recall. Fixing this should be free, as it's a recall.
  • Does it make noises when turning at low speeds? Grit can get in under the bash plate. Fixing this cost me a couple of hundred quid.
  • Have the suspension arms been replaced? These often need doing, I think the originals had a design flaw. Cost of this is about a grand.
  • Have the actuators in the doors been replaced? These are responsible for popping the driver/passenger doors open, and they're been known to fail. Cost is about two hundred quid per door.
  • Maybe look at battery degradation, or get some assurances on it. I'm sure some clever people here know a good way of getting metrics with something like TeslaFi.
  • Wang the bass up full and listen for rattling plastic panels. Not a deal-breaker I expect, but can get annoying and is a common issue.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and I've got to go and sort dinner out now :)

Thanks for that @DeejUK , it’s incredibly helpful. You’d recommend getting one then?

It’s a 75D so I’m also slightly concerned about range, though I guess having access to supercharger network would be mitigate that (I have an ipace now, charging is really rubbish game of Russian roulette)

You’d recommend getting one then?
We like ours, and we paid £108k for a 90D back in 2017. We recently decided to not get a Model Y Performance, and to keep the MX instead. We have the 6-seat one, which really feels like a small private jet* inside. It's great for road trips, which brings me on to...

@gangzoom did a 3,000 mile family road trip to Norway in a 75D, and I'm pretty sure that if it were possible to legally adopt a car and make it one of the children, he would :) He really loves it, and found the smaller battery to be absolutely no obstacle. We've also done almost exactly the same trip twice with two kids, without social services needing to be called.

Cons:
  • The falcon-wing doors are sometimes annoying after a few years. They're great fun at times, but a bit irritating when you want to get in/our quickly, or manage to lean on the fob in your pocket whilst loading the car, causing all the doors to close (on your head). They're awesome if you've got pre-teen children and are therefore likely to be around people who will be amazed by them and ask if you're Batman/does it fly. The eldest who is now at secondary school is hugely embarrassed by them.
  • It's the size of an aircraft carrier.
  • Tesla servicing is a monopoly, and I've been ripped off at least once. I'm a little anxious about being out of warranty.
  • It's not as new and shiny as a Model Y, and there are features you'll never get.

* Disclaimer: I'm not actually posh or rich enough to have been in a private jet

the ‘features I wouldn’t get’ makes me a bit twitchy.
I just did the MCU/AP upgrade (holler if those acronyms are meaningless to you) and I didn't really research it very thoroughly. Sentry mode now records to a USB stick, the tablet is way more responsive, Autopilot reads speed signs, and the Autopilot rendering on the dashboard is much slicker.

However, I don't get things like blind-spot previews on signalling, S3XY button compatibility, and the allegedly-forthcoming Sentry-through-the-app functionality. I can imagine there'll be all sorts of apps and software updates that won't come to MCU2 hardware.

That said, I do have indicator stalks, a steering wheel, and ultrasonic parking sensors! And mine had free SuperCharging, which the tight-fisted git in me likes way more than I can rationalise.

If you've followed him elsewhere, you'll know gangzoom also says its the most unreliable car he's owned? The car must be doing something right though to put up with the issues.

A couple of other common ones:

- heater matrix can fail - circa £1k
- Judder under hard acceleration, although more a problem with the more powerful cars
- look for water in the lights and check the daytime running lights are ok. The daytime running lights is common issue on the Model S but may be a problem on the MX, it's an MOT fail if the running light has started to go.

The 75D battery is fairly small for the size of car and you'll get only about 3/5 of the range you'd get with a MY LR before charging, and rapid charging will also be slower. Moving from an MS to a M3 and then MY, the thing I noticed most was how quickly it added range when supercharging, especially at the V3 superchargers. The MX doesn't have a heat pump either, so the impact of cold weather will be greater on range than a MY.

A rough guide to battery degradation can be easily checked from the drivers seat, This is a rough guide. I'd image the result being over 65kwh is probably normal for that age of car.

I think the website also has a video somewhere of the MX v MY differences, in terms of interior space it's mainly storage if you're looking at 5 seat variants, the 6 seat setup is nice on the MX although you can't fold the second row, only the 3rd row.

If the range and charging aspects don't bother you then the MX is a more substantial car and one to look for, if you want the range, charging speed and better economy the MY is pretty good.

Reactions: ArunG and tredman
If you've followed him elsewhere, you'll know gangzoom also says its the most unreliable car he's owned? The car must be doing something right though to put up with the issues.

A couple of other common ones:

- heater matrix can fail - circa £1k
- Judder under hard acceleration, although more a problem with the more powerful cars
- look for water in the lights and check the daytime running lights are ok. The daytime running lights is common issue on the Model S but may be a problem on the MX, it's an MOT fail if the running light has started to go.

The 75D battery is fairly small for the size of car and you'll get only about 3/5 of the range you'd get with a MY LR before charging, and rapid charging will also be slower. Moving from an MS to a M3 and then MY, the thing I noticed most was how quickly it added range when supercharging, especially at the V3 superchargers. The MX doesn't have a heat pump either, so the impact of cold weather will be greater on range than a MY.

A rough guide to battery degradation can be easily checked from the drivers seat, This is a rough guide. I'd image the result being over 65kwh is probably normal for that age of car.

I think the website also has a video somewhere of the MX v MY differences, in terms of interior space it's mainly storage if you're looking at 5 seat variants, the 6 seat setup is nice on the MX although you can't fold the second row, only the 3rd row.

If the range and charging aspects don't bother you then the MX is a more substantial car and one to look for, if you want the range, charging speed and better economy the MY is pretty good.
Thanks - having slept on it I think I'm leaning towards the Y. Going to have a test drive of the X still though

My main issue with the i-pace is the slow charging speed, poor range and lack of interior space. Sounds like the X only solves the last of these.

I'd deffo recommend getting the CCS upgrade if it doesn't already have it (it won't have come with CCS compatibility from the factory, but the previous owner may have upgraded it). Means you can use general CCS plugs, and also V3 superchargers which are a teensy bit faster and more numerous - you'll have way more supercharging options with the CCS upgrade in place. I think it was well worth the few hundred quid it cost, especially if you're doing European road trips.

Reactions: tredman
If the car is 45k and is the 75d collection from Reading thrn i have decoded the cehicle for. Please see below for specs. :)

Detailed information for 5YJXDCE27HF033783​

Car options​

BP00 : No Ludicrous
AH00 : No accessory hitch point
AD15 : Charge port
GLTL : Final Assembly Tilburg
AU00 : Standard Audio
X041 : No auto presenting door
APF1 : Extended Autopilot
APH2 : AP2 Hardware
APPB : Enhanced Autopilot
X028 : Battery Badge
BTX5 : 75kWh Battery
BS00 : Blind spot
CC01 : Five Seat Interior
BC0B : Black Brake Caliper
CH04 : High Power Charger Capable
CF01 : Charger
CW00 : No subzero package fitted
COGB : GB Car
X039 : DAB radio
IDBO : Figured Ash
X026 : Not Lighted Door Handles
DRRH : Right hand drive
AF00 : Standard cabin filter
FG00 : Base Exterior Lighting
FR01 : Base front seats
TD00 : Group: Glider plus
X008 : Base Headlamps
X011 : GPS Enabled Homelink
INBLB : Black Base Interior
PI00 : Standard interior
IX00 : No extended leather trim
X001 : Power Tailgate
LP00 : No premium lighting
LT1B : Black Base Lower Trim
MI02 : Model Iteration 2
X037 : Powerfold mirrors
MDLX : Model X
DV4W : Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
X025 : No performance package
X003 : Nav Maps
PMSS : San Simeon Silver
PA00 : No paint protection armour
PS01 : Parcel shelf
PK00 : Parking Sensors
X031 : Keyless/Passive entry
PF00 : Non performance version
X043 : No phone connector/dock
TM00 : General production car
BR04 : Firmware (unknown relevance)
REEU : Europe Region Car
RFPX : Model X roof
OSSB : Safety kit - Black
X014 : No Satellite Radio
S02B : Black seats
ME01 : Memory seats
QPMB : Black Leather w\/Premium
SR05 : 5 seat interior
SP01 : Security package
X021 : No spoiler
SC04 : Pay per use Supercharging
SU01 : Smart air suspension
TP00 : No Technology Package
TRA0 : No Third Row HVAC
TR00 : No 3rd row of seats
TIM7 : Michelin Summer Tires
DSH5 : PUR Dash Accent
TW00 : No towing package
MT75A : 75 with All wheel Drive
UTAB : Black headliner
WT20 : 20 Silver wheels
YFCC : Centre console
CPF0 : Standard connectivity

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
I buy my car through a limited company, so in order to get the tax breaks I have to buy new - but I've thought about this over the last couple of years as the prices for 2nd hand Model X's have slowly come down to the point where they are very similar to buying a new M3 or MY.

Over the years, every time my M3 and now my MY was in the shop I begged for an MX loaner but always ended up in an MS - until last week. I was given an MX for 4 days (Thursday to Monday) while they replaced my struts and a few other issues,
My 9-year-old loved it, but I have to say I was happy to hand it back - in fact, I took it back a day earlier than I had to,

I must admit I loved the auto opening/closing doors, and the 6 seats are very handy - but the range was terrible when coming from an LR MY / M3, and it charged so slowly.

I've never understood range anxiety in my M3 / MY. I just drive where I wanted, knowing that even if I ran low on juice, I could pop into a supercharger for 20 minutes, and I'd be back on the road again,

For the dew days we had the MX it was a very different experience. It felt like I was constantly looking for the next supercharger, and then we got there, it felt like it took ages to get any juice into the battery - and there is no Netflix to watch in the car while you charge,

On the last day, I have to go to work in the morning (15 mile round trip) and then we decided to go the beach (180 mile round trip) and we ended up having to visit the superchargers 4 times. Normally a try to the Super Chargers are fun. We park up, grab a coffee and a toilet break and then either head straight off. With the MX we were charging for around 45 minutes each time and without Netflix in the car it's pretty boring with 2 kids and a wife who just wants to get home.

My wife actually said, after I told her we would have to stop again (for the 2ndtime that day) that if this was what owning an electric car actually felt like then she could understand how people were apprehensive to switch over.

Apart from the charging, the interior is very dated, storage is terrible (compared to M3 / MY) and it's HUGE.

That said, I would pay a few grand to have the auto opening / closing doors on my MY. They are addictive :)

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK and H43lio
@gangzoom did a 3,000 mile family road trip to Norway in a 75D, and I'm pretty sure that if it were possible to legally adopt a car and make it one of the children, he would :)

Good to see people know how I feel about our X :).

In total I've done coming up to 80k miles in various Xs now since taking delivery in March 2017. Been to Europe half a dozen times, Scotland, survived the first post lockdown M5 pilein/out to Cornwall during Easter break.

Plenty of friends now have 3/Ys, and I think I've driven just about car Tesla have made apart from the original Roadster......which is the one I really would love to own as a garage queen.

But essentially we are NEVER selling our current 75D X based on a few unique circumstances.

• Free Supercharging for life - On European road trips saves us now easily £500+ per trip
  • Free connectivity for life - Not a big deal but free is better than payment
  • FSD all paid for - 'Upgraded' to from zero AP to FSD for £4500 a few years ago. The wait is long, but FSD progress in the US is undisputable along with Tesla now doing camera upgrades. So why sell up now?
  • Tesla now offering 90kWh usable pack as longterm replacement on older S/X cars. The current cost is $20k installed, and at a real world 3 miles per kWh would give our X 270 miles of real life range, better than new. Cost to change to a new X is £50k+ WITHOUT FSD and with loss of all the free stuff.

The X does everything we ask of it, and I now love the space and size. Everything else I drive now feels claustrophobic inside, and am not interested in downgrading in space. The only car I would replace our X with is another X - though the iX also appeals for some reapns. But as already mentioned paying £50K for essentially the same car but also loss Free Supercharging........No deal :).

It took Tesla around 3.5 years to fix all the issues present at delivery, but for the last 12 months reliability has been OK. Helped by the fact a garage down the road is happy to work on the X - including changing fuses in the DC converter!

My biggest 'complaint' of our X is it makes driving too EASY.....sounds bizzar, but put your foot down in any road condition and it goes. I've never felt ABS kick in, wheel spin - what's that again?, and even understeer- If you are getting understeer in a X just remember it's a 2.5ton+ lump of metal on a public road shared by other road users.

I recently worked out the current monthly upkeep of the X including insurance is sub £70/month. Honestly my e-Pedal bike is costing more to upkeep at present (battery just died out of warranty-£350 for 0.25kWh pack).

Oh to the family that had to charge 4 times on a 180 miles trip.....WTF. The X is thirsty but it'd not an eTron :).

The BEST thing about our X though is it just makes me smile, and the fact it's got something intangible about it beyond the facts/figures/stats. X factor, uniqueness, soul?? I don't know what call it, but something that makes it to me anyways far more than just another 'car'.

Its quite amazing to look back see how my daughter first reacted to seeing a X versus now (she perfers maths games to Netflix :)). Now the real question is will Tesla have deployed FSD Beta on UK roads by the time she can do her driving test.......or will Elon have self imploded in a ball of blue tick fuelled rocket to Titan (because Mars will be been 'solved' already).

28709774022_12f33a103c_c_d.jpg

52444406457_9782b7e437_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any way of checking if it still has free supercharging?

Transferable free for life Supercharging stopped after March 2017. So if its registered before that date you will have free Supercharging if not NO. UK deliveries of the X only started in late Dec 2016, so there is only handful of Xs around used that have transferable free Supercharging.

However there are people who took delivery of P100D Ls (late £9k upgrade from the P90D L) during this time' so they are around but likely double digits only. I've never seen one forsale yet, but if you find one with FSD paid up than that is the car to buy used.

HI folks does any one know if I purchase a 5 yr old Model X from non Tesla dealer if I can take a Tesla Extended Warranty, website I found wanted me to confirm it has never been out of warranty... all help greatly appreciated.

^The Tesla official warranty expires after 4 years, if its not signed up to the official extended warranty via VIN than you cannot buy the official extended warranty.

Personally i haven't bothered and it's not been an issue. Plenty of garages can now work on these cars, and there is no way to extend the official warranty beyond 8 years which comes up surprisingly quickly, our car is 6 years old this year.

So if you plan on keeping it longterm finding a local garage what can work on the car is far more important as at somepoint the car will be out of warranty.