Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model y new owner stuck in valet mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The previous owner seemed to have never completed a proper owner transfership so you will need to resort back to them for more help on this, Ask them for the pin and then you will be able to turn of valet mode, Putting the pin in turns of velet mode.

Reactions: zoomer0056
What's with the rudeness? It's an easy fix, he just needs to ask the previous owner for the pin.

What rudeness? The OP said, in the very first post in this thread:

spoke with dealer who sold and they have no clue. Previous doesn’t know either.
Which implies that they contacted the dealer, and the dealer contacted the previous owner already.

The OP also said that they turned on valet mode. Im not seeing how stating that they probably need to go to Tesla, with their ownership proof, to get it resolved.

What's with the rudeness? It's an easy fix, he just needs to ask the previous owner for the pin.
In @jjrandorin's defense, it's more than the pin for the valet mode, the glovebox, or whatever: The Tesla Account for the previous owner needs to go away and a new one for the new owner created. Again, there's procedures all over Tesla's web site on How To Do This, and said procedures are things that the previous owner should have done. And the dealership should have been hovering over the previous owner, with the dealership becoming, from Tesla's perspective, the new owner.

And then the dealer could have performed the same dance with the buyer of the car; the buyer would have the car on their account, would now be able to charge the car at Superchargers, bring it in for service, and all that jazz.

At the moment, there may be a title in progress; once the new owner (and OP of this thread) has said title, an ID saying him/her is him/her, and a bill of sale or something then a Tesla SC can take care of things. But this is a pain and it sometimes takes a while for a title to show its face.

Speaking of that last: There has occasionally been horror stories/news articles where a dealer sold a car and, for whatever reason, they didn't actually have title to the car, leading to endless fun. The last time I saw something like this it was something weird; the dealer had gotten a loan to buy the car that they sold, but the lender had a lien or something, and the buyer of the car waited months with Bad Things Happening. There have also been stories about cars going through relatively shady auction lots where things like salvage titles are whitewashed. So, not having the title is, like, a somewhat scary place to be.

The

Which implies that they contacted the dealer, and the dealer contacted the previous owner already.

The OP also said that they turned on valet mode. Im not seeing how stating that they probably need to go to Tesla, with their ownership proof, to get it resolved.
cars a tesla so why wouldn't they go to Tesla?????

Also Tesla should be able to do a reset remotely.

The

cars a tesla so why wouldn't they go to Tesla?????
Because, suppose that one is a thief and has somehow managed to steal a Tesla. Maybe they broke into a house and got the keycard, or removed said key card from a mugging victim.

"Hi!", says the thief. "I just bought this car and need to get an account set up."

If Tesla goes, "Sure thing, let's just do it!" then the thief gets the car and runs away happy while the mugging victim staggers around in circles for a while.

If, on the other hand, Telsa goes, "Sure thing! Got the title and the ID that matches?" And a human being looks at these things. If they're not there.. they won't do it. And might just call the cops.

They thought of this one a long time ago.

Reactions: rlsd
Because, suppose that one is a thief and has somehow managed to steal a Tesla. Maybe they broke into a house and got the keycard, or removed said key card from a mugging victim.

"Hi!", says the thief. "I just bought this car and need to get an account set up."

If Tesla goes, "Sure thing, let's just do it!" then the thief gets the car and runs away happy while the mugging victim staggers around in circles for a while.

If, on the other hand, Telsa goes, "Sure thing! Got the title and the ID that matches?" And a human being looks at these things. If they're not there.. they won't do it. And might just call the cops.

They thought of this one a long time ago.
Yeah obviously "Pin to drive" in enabled in that case of longevity, But what i am trying to bang on point here is that tesla has complete control over the cars...... So in that case they should be able to confirm once with the previous owner that they are "Actually" giving it to another! So I.E Tesla should email them back to confirm there actually giving the car to someone else whose "NOT" a theif.

Reactions: agautam
Hope, someone can guide me. I bought it from third party dealer 2 days ago. I was playing around with settings and pressed a valet mode. It entered but needs a pin to get out. spoke with dealer who sold and they have no clue. Previous doesn’t know either. Tesla app is not setup in the phone. Can’t get the wifi access to the vehicle to reset. what are my options?
Thanks.
Hi all, The issue is now resolved. Thanks all for the help, guidance and insight. I’m now in the process of transferring ownership to me.

Reactions: MSJack
Yeah obviously "Pin to drive" in enabled in that case of longevity, But what i am trying to bang on point here is that tesla has complete control over the cars...... So in that case they should be able to confirm once with the previous owner that they are "Actually" giving it to another! So I.E Tesla should email them back to confirm there actually giving the car to someone else whose "NOT" a theif.
This OPs situation seems to be solved, so thats good.

As for title transfers, etc, and how that can go sideways if Tesla does not do due diligence on them, I will point you to the following thread (which I dont think is the only one):