Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model y new owner stuck in valet mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope, someone can guide me. I bought it from third party dealer 2 days ago. I was playing around with settings and pressed a valet mode. It entered but needs a pin to get out. spoke with dealer who sold and they have no clue. Previous doesn’t know either. Tesla app is not setup in the phone. Can’t get the wifi access to the vehicle to reset. what are my options?
Thanks.

Hope, someone can guide me. I bought it from third party dealer 2 days ago. I was playing around with settings and pressed a valet mode. It entered but needs a pin to get out. spoke with dealer who sold and they have no clue. Previous doesn’t know either. Tesla app is not setup in the phone. Can’t get the wifi access to the vehicle to reset. what are my options?
Thanks.
When you entered valet mode it asks for a pin. Do you not remember what you entered?
Open a service request. Try calling Tesla 877-798-3752 and have your VIN number handy when you call.

• Helpful
Reactions: agautam and KerryOH
Which user profile you are using to drive the car now? (Valet, Easy Entry, Your Own Profile, Previous Owner Profile?)
If you are not registered with Tesla as legal owner then you need to bring the car back to the dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: agautam
Thanks.
Just park the car. When you retrieve it, the owner will take it out of valet mode. Me being cynical and not helpful.

Last edited:
I am still not sure about the question.
Were you asked to enter the pin to exit valet mode? Or were you asked to enter the pin to setup valet mode? In this case you enter the new pin you chose.
No. when I got the vehicle it had pin setup on the valet mode. was playing around with setting and went into valet and trying to get out but required pin which third party dealer doesn’t know about it.

From the manual:

“If you forget your valet PIN, reset it from inside Model Y
by entering your Tesla Account credentials (which also
cancels Valet mode). You can also reset your PIN using
the mobile app.”

Note the car has to appear in your Tesla account before you can do this. Open a service ticket if it is not there.
Yeah that’s what I read as well. Got it. Thanks

Which user profile you are using to drive the car now? (Valet, Easy Entry, Your Own Profile, Previous Owner Profile?)
If you are not registered with Tesla as legal owner then you need to bring the car back to the dealer.
Yes. I’m not registered as owner on Tesla account. When I try to add vehicle via app then it says to contact previous owner to get the ownership transfer to me.

If you have full control of the car then you can delete the previous valet pin then enter a new pin if you want to enable valet.
In any case you should install the Tesla app on your phone for any kind of security control (valet, pin to drive, sentry mode, finding car location,...)

Reactions: agautam
Yes. This is what I’m going to do after I get the access via app. Until then I have get the ownership transferred first. Thank you.
It's a little strange that the dealer let you bring the car home without properly transferring the ownership to you. This means you have not completely owned the car yet and there are other legal ramifications.

Yes. I’m not registered as owner on Tesla account. When I try to add vehicle via app then it says to contact previous owner to get the ownership transfer to me.
Um. Bad news. The previous owner was supposed to transfer ownership of the car, from Tesla's point of view, to the dealer when the previous owner sold the car. There's clear procedures on how to do this all over Tesla's web site; the dealer should have insisted upon this up front.

Now, things get complicated. Did you get a title for the car? Or is the dealer, "Waiting for paperwork to process." or some such?

One of the reasons that this has to be done carefully on Tesla's part is to make sure that this isn't some kind of theft. So, they'll want to see certified paperwork. Did the dealer get a title from the previous owner?

Even if, so far, all this is on the up-and-up, the previous owner has the money, may have transferred the title, but hasn't, from Tesla's point of view, transferred ownership to anybody. Um. If the previous owner is nice and would like to help things along, there's no particular incentive for them to do so, outside of a lawsuit. Tesla can clean up this mess, but they're not going to do that with solid-as-a-rock confirmation that that car belongs to you; casual conversations with a salescritter isn't going to do it, but a signed, sealed, and delivered title will. My experience with New Jersey over the decades is that, once the DMV has been handed the old title with all the appropriate paperwork (application form, bill of sale, the old signed title, etc.), it takes them a bit to deliver the new title. Unless one does it totally in person (most dealerships hate that - it means they can't charge you for the paperwork), in which case they might just print the thing right then and there.

If you have the title in hand, you should be able to go to a Service Center and get the account straightened out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

In a way, all this craziness is sort of related to the ways cell phones are managed. Some thief pickpockets a cell phone from a member of the public. Attempting to use that cell phone in any way, because the cell phone's ID is with the cell phone manufacturer as well as the cellular provider results in such phone becoming a brick. Which is kind of why people aren't being mugged for their cell phones any more. One can sell a cell phone; but one must first go through a process over at Apple, Motorola, Samsung, or whoever to unregister the phone first.

You'll get your car back, but it sounds like you've got some heavy lifting to do. Good luck!