Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MX Purchse - From Tesla vs Private Party vs Dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I am in market to buy a Used MX with 2.0 Hardware (and with FSD if the price is right). My budget is around $65K.

I've seen several posts about buying Used MX. I think the order of preference is 1) From Tesla 2) From Private Party and 3) From Non-Tesla Dealer.

However...

With the changes in how Tesla is removing all EAP/FSD's and Free Supercharging from their Used inventory. Do you all think it is still wise to buy from Tesla First - For the Warranty Piece?

From Tesla - A 2016/2017 2.0 Hardware with Base AP is around ~$65K for a 6 Seater Config. I need to add additional $6K for FSD making the car >$70K. Is this the price one should expect?

Thank you!!

Got my unicorn AP2 90D 6 seater for $68k. Had to buy AP and FSD after-the-fact. You just need to be patient and setup lots of searches. I liked using carfax because it shows the date the car was registered to give me a ballpark of if it was AP2 or not w/o having to check the pictures.

I've seen few AP 2.0 6Seaters going for around $68K. I had Tesla Used Sales Car rep send me one that fit my needs but I was unable to get answers on the FSD capability and the up charge. So was unable to close the deal. Hopefully more will show up soon.

Hoping the vehicles with 3 year leases start showing up in October.

Not looking to sell mine but just curious why this is the most sought after? I have a 6 seater 2.0 hardware, wouldn’t everyone rather have 6 seater AP 2.5 hardware? Or is this kind of the magic combo for price for the features?
Ha ha it's because of pricing. 2.5 ends up being a late 2017 or a 2018 and the prices on those still high. Based on my understanding that if you have FSD then the upgrade to 3.0 is free (as per musk) the 2.0 ModelX might be the bargain.

Obviously newer the vehicle the better

Reactions: Terthen
Some AP 2.0 can have free unlimited supercharging transferrable to the buyer. I don't think AP 2.5 can.
And on this point it seems that Tesla also disables FUSC if bought from 3rd party dealers so private sales might be only way to get FUSC.

Back to the warranty, I believe buying used from Tesla gets you 4yr/50,000 and it starts from the "time of delivery". I am pretty sure buying from a non tesla dealer only provides what warranty remains from the original sale of the vehicle. I shopped around nationwide for a long range ModelX before ultimately deciding to buy new. Here is what I found:

1. Most used Tesla values are being determined by outdated information on Kelly and Nadaguides. They have NOT adjusted to the fact that a new Tesla Model X long range can be had with all options for 85k and some change. BY the time you get your tax rebate from the feds you are in the 83k range for a brand new Model X! Some states are still offering EV tax rebates so the price could be even lower depending on where you live. Dealers purchased some of these Teslas from auction BEFORE the new price change went into effect and are trying to offload that inventory on unsuspecting buyers. They are hoping that the uninformed person walks onto the lot, loves the car and buys it! To make matters even worse, there are LOTS of used Model X 90d and 100D cars out there for just a few thousand MORE than a new one. Even Tesla is doing the same thing on their used site. Once the market adjustment occurs, the used 79-84k 2017 or 2018 Model X you just purchased is going to tank in value. You are going to take a huge depreciation hit. A perfect example is this 2017 Model X 100D with 21000 miles:
stupidvalue.jpg

2. Most non-tesla dealers don't understand autopilot hardware versions, build dates, features or packages. They don't really know what is on the car. They might be able to tell you range, but after talking with many dealers they just don't have an understanding of what is on the car unless they happen to have the original sticker. Things get much harder if you have a trade-in. These guys have no problem offering you wholesale(well below kelly trade-in) and then acting like victims when you ask them to market adjust their Tesla!
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9

Last edited:
Back to the warranty, I believe buying used from Tesla gets you 4yr/50,000 and it starts from the "time of delivery". I am pretty sure buying from a non tesla dealer only provides what warranty remains from the original sale of the vehicle. I shopped around nationwide for a long range ModelX before ultimately deciding to buy new. Here is what I found:

1. Most used Tesla values are being determined by outdated information on Kelly and Nadaguides. They have NOT adjusted to the fact that a new Tesla Model X long range can be had with all options for 85k and some change. BY the time you get your tax rebate from the feds you are in the 83k range for a brand new Model X! Some states are still offering EV tax rebates so the price could be even lower depending on where you live. Dealers purchased some of these Teslas from auction BEFORE the new price change went into effect and are trying to offload that inventory on unsuspecting buyers. They are hoping that the uninformed person walks onto the lot, loves the car and buys it! To make matters even worse, there are LOTS of used Model X 90d and 100D cars out there for just a few thousand MORE than a new one. Even Tesla is doing the same thing on their used site. Once the market adjustment occurs, the used 79-84k 2017 or 2018 Model X you just purchased is going to tank in value. You are going to take a huge depreciation hit. A perfect example is this 2017 Model X 100D with 21000 miles:
View attachment 438493
2. Most non-tesla dealers don't understand autopilot hardware versions, build dates, features or packages. They don't really know what is on the car. They might be able to tell you range, but after talking with many dealers they just don't have an understanding of what is on the car unless they happen to have the original sticker. Things get much harder if you have a trade-in. These guys have no problem offering you wholesale(well below kelly trade-in) and then acting like victims when you ask them to market adjust their Tesla!
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9

This is exactly how its turning out. The used X prices from dealers are behind. I have tried to explain to dealers that the car will sit on their lot if they don't adjust and if priced right I will go ahead and buy but they stick to NADA and wholesale market. As of now few of those are still on their lot and now with Tesla dropping prices on used Teslas, I am glad I didn't buy as my original offer would have been still high.

This is one reason I am unsure to buy a used one as more and more Teslas are going to come into market as 3 years of leases are going to be up. So essentially the used market would flood and the price has to adjust. Also with the Raven refresh the pre ravens will drop as a year from now ravens start to hit the used market....

I think if you are buying a Tesla, plan to own it for a while...

Last night. EV-CPO showed a 100D with 2.0 Hardware with 6 Seater ( white Interior) for $66,300. This was with Base AP.

I am hoping October ( hardware changes to 2.0) would bring several MXs off-lease that should be available to buy used.

View attachment 438493
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9
iLUh3yyCFZk5aeDc9

How does one search for private parties.

The websites I have been to have only dealers and yes they have no clue of the price they should have on a MX.

Example: 2018 20k kms@ 114k vs new Raven @117k. Lol

I got lucky last week with a friend who works in Tesla used sales. Picked up a 2017 Black 100D Model X with 6 seat config white interior for $65,900 (Delivery next Friday!). The order actually froze the system due to the amount of purchase requests, but found out the morning after that I got it. Pretty happy that it was AP2 hardware.

Been lurking for a while on a deal with AP2. Missed out on a blue 75D 7 seat config with AP2 for $64,000 a few weeks ago, but considering the deal I got (plus the $2k delivery fee on the 75D), this was an absolute win.

My advice would be to hold off for a few months as the 2017 models with AP2 will be coming off 2 year lease at the end of this year. You'll see them more frequently on the Tesla website. AP2 hardware started going into cars end of 2016 which means 3 year leases for them are coming to an end as well. IMO AP2 hardware is a must have since all of the software is still being supported and improving.