Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MX recent (3-4 months) buying experience

Would you buy an used Tesla again?

• Certainly!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No way in hell!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hold my nose but go through because of the product

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks
I’m in the market for a used model x. Have been surfing this forum for the last several days and reading about some difficult buying experiences from a year ago. Has anyone here bought a MX recently? If so would you please share your experiences good or bad? Much appreciated!

Yes! I'm about 2 weeks into my 2016 X90D.

I mean, the process isn't great. Pick out a car online, pay deposit. Do most paperwork/financing bullshit through account page.

Get an appointment for delivery.

Then you show up and you either accept the car or you: Attempt to haggle over items repairable by duebill. Word is they won't do anything if it was shown on pictures.

I've since scheduled a service appt to correct a trim piece (due bill), address front end shudder (warranty), and look at an intermittent sensor issue on one of the FWDs. They've been able to push an OTA navigation update to me that fixed an issue there. They also declined to repair another minor damage to the underside (not battery), which whatever, i don't really fault them for.

Look, overall the car has been amazing. but there are some problems with Tesla as a company: Their service apparatus is maxed out. Their used vehicle salespeople can't change anything or do much to help you, besides some communication facilitation. There's no real effort made to make sure the cars are clean or in perfect shape before sales.

But I'd do it again in a heartbeat because:
1. New model X is way more than I am willing to spend.
2. There's no valid competitor for a 3-row BEV.

Reactions: seantay00

I mean, the process isn't great. Pick out a car online, pay deposit. Do most paperwork/financing bullshit through account page.

Then you show up and you either accept the car or you: Attempt to haggle over items repairable by duebill. Word is they won't do anything if it was shown on pictures.

I've since scheduled a service appt to correct a trim piece (due bill), address front end shudder (warranty), and look at an intermittent sensor issue on one of the FWDs. They've been able to push an OTA navigation update to me that fixed an issue there. They also declined to repair another minor damage to the underside (not battery), which whatever, i don't really fault them for.

Look, overall the car has been amazing. but there are some problems with Tesla as a company: Their service apparatus is maxed out. Their used vehicle salespeople can't change anything or do much to help you, besides some communication facilitation. There's no real effort made to make sure the cars are clean or in perfect shape before sales.

Thanks for your feedback! Very helpful. Do you know if they are flexible about delivery? I ask because my closest delivery location is 4-5 hrs away. However a new service center has opened 45 miles away.

I concur with everything the person said above. 2nd week into my MX and I have the same experience. Whats frustrating is that I knew I had to document everything with due bill and I kept asking the guy that I want an "I owe you sheet". he kept taking pictures on his phone and uploading to a system and said its all tied to your VIN and will be accessible. It seemed like I was talking to a wall. He just waited in a corner until I was done seeing the car. It was either take it or leave it. Unfortunately I wanted the car. Monday I talk to my OA and tell him and guess what he could not track down the delivery guy. After 2 days he came to know who it is and apparently the guy does not have anything. There was a list of issues but no pictures. Week 2 in and today they ask me to send pictures again. I do hope they will address some of the issues but I am not counting on it. I do have one major item which is a "torn seat on front passenger that was switched". It was not evident in pictures and I hope they will fix it.

I concur with everything the person said above. 2nd week into my MX and I have the same experience. Whats frustrating is that I knew I had to document everything with due bill and I kept asking the guy that I want an "I owe you sheet". he kept taking pictures on his phone and uploading to a system and said its all tied to your VIN and will be accessible. It seemed like I was talking to a wall. He just waited in a corner until I was done seeing the car. It was either take it or leave it. Unfortunately I wanted the car. Monday I talk to my OA and tell him and guess what he could not track down the delivery guy. After 2 days he came to know who it is and apparently the guy does not have anything. There was a list of issues but no pictures. Week 2 in and today they ask me to send pictures again. I do hope they will address some of the issues but I am not counting on it. I do have one major item which is a "torn seat on front passenger that was switched". It was not evident in pictures and I hope they will fix it.

Thanks for sharing! Hope they fix the torn seat issue for you ...

Anything you would do differently in hindsight? Did they haggle at all for issues found?

Anyone recently purchased a CA car and received in Marina? Just looking for ETA and wondering how long the process takes.

Ironically you don’t get a cool down period when you buy at a dealer so this slow process is almost perfect for people who are indecisive

So I finally placed my deposit on a CPO vehicle. My salesman was somewhat communicative but goofed up on finding the location of the car. We are still “figuring out” what my pickup location is going to be. Also the initial order agreement does not list the mileage of the car anywhere. I have sent an email, voicemail and text to my “delivery advisor” after she sent me an initial email with these questions. So far dead silence....

Curious to see how long did it take to finally get the car, after the deposit for other folks here @rayfound @csriram45 any others??

@aljnx06 - I take delivery tomorrow (could have been today but my hubby works).

Total time from deposit and transport was 7 days.

My recommendations:
1. Determine financing. This determines how much cash you actually owe aside from a check from your credit union or through Tesla. Pay the difference ASAP. You can still decline up until you sign for the car.

2. Let them know as soon as you have your check. If you need financing you’ll need them to hurry and make the contract.

3. Once I confirmed I had the check and contract, it was fast.

My car was in San Diego transported to Marina Del Rey.

Reactions: aljnx06
@aljnx06 - I take delivery tomorrow (could have been today but my hubby works).

Total time from deposit and transport was 7 days.

My recommendations:
1. Determine financing. This determines how much cash you actually owe aside from a check from your credit union or through Tesla. Pay the difference ASAP. You can still decline up until you sign for the car.

2. Let them know as soon as you have your check. If you need financing you’ll need them to hurry and make the contract.

3. Once I confirmed I had the check and contract, it was fast.

My car was in San Diego transported to Marina Del Rey.

@eXalentEV thanks for your tips!

1. —> Already done, I.e the loan has been approved by my bank.

I haven’t paid the diff between loan amount and total cost which is about 4K. Will the process stall until this happens? (My credit union may need the purchase documents before they cut the check for the loan amount)