Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, do the pay links ever show up in our tesla accounts? I have an aversion to going through email links.
Hey, I created an account specifically to reply to you. The paypal post you copied and pasted has a paypal link with all your information including your name and address.

I also have a question. My bill is due Sunday but I want to pay with credit card by phone. Does anyone have experience with late payments?

(moderator note: edited specified post. thanks for looking out for our members here, and welcome to tmc, hope you stay a while)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I created an account specifically to reply to you. The paypal post you copied and pasted has a paypal link with all your information including your name and address.

I also have a question. My bill is due Sunday but I want to pay with credit card by phone. Does anyone have experience with late payments?

Thanks. The mod removed it about 30 seconds after I reported it so I'm guessing you reported it already which is the reason the mod fixed it so soon :)

The ironic thing is I'm so paranoid about clicking on links in email yet totally failed at protecting my own personal info by posting a link I was paranoid about:oops:

FWIW, when I paid for mine in january (when the pay by Credit card thing wasnt so much smoke and mirrors), it was via paypal, and I had no issues with it. It did not show up in my tesla account though, if I remember, It was an email from tesla.

I hear you on the links. like many tesla owners (especially in this section, it seems) I am in IT, so sensitive to "sharing information". Thats why I jumped on your report so fast, lol.

Reactions: sorka
So I went ahead and tried to pay it but the paypal invoice won't let me split the payment up into two cards.
From what I understand, there is no way in paypal to split a payment among multiple cards. If you have a balance, you can use that (but to get a balance with a CC would likely mean a balance transfer, which is not good other than if you have some sort of promo.) I believe others did report success splitting payments by calling Tesla.

Was this a Tesla Solar invoice? If so, how long did they give you to pay? The invoices I got from them (several months ago) were "Due Now" but nobody was concerned that I took over a week to pay (and they really seem pretty lax in general, other than the potential that it will hold up PTO.) I would be shocked if they care about it being late by a day, especially if you want to but can't pay by phone this weekend, unless there is specific language about late fees on your invoice.

Or is there a way to pay by phone over the weekend?
My inspection was done yesterday (Friday) and got an invoice within an hour. Tried the number today ( Saturday ) and they were available. I just told the lady that i need to pay by card and there is no such option to do that. Without any hesitation she took the card details and sent the receipt. Glad to get some Cash back :D

Reactions: charlesj
From what I understand, there is no way in paypal to split a payment among multiple cards. If you have a balance, you can use that (but to get a balance with a CC would likely mean a balance transfer, which is not good other than if you have some sort of promo.) I believe others did report success splitting payments by calling Tesla.

Was this a Tesla Solar invoice? If so, how long did they give you to pay? The invoices I got from them (several months ago) were "Due Now" but nobody was concerned that I took over a week to pay (and they really seem pretty lax in general, other than the potential that it will hold up PTO.) I would be shocked if they care about it being late by a day, especially if you want to but can't pay by phone this weekend, unless there is specific language about late fees on your invoice.

Yes, tesla solar. It was about 5 days to pay, which is a surprisingly fast turn around. Thanks for the advice. Glad I made an account on this forum. Once this is all over, I gotta decide between which Tesla I want to buy vs. the Mustang mach-e. From what I've researched, the tech is way more advanced with tesla with that unlikely to change for generations but it's hard to pass up the incentives (about $10k in savings) that come with the Mustang.

There is never any rush to pay I believe. My bill was ready over 5-6 weeks ago and I just paid it last Thu. As far as I know, the payment of the bill has no impact on the PTO .

That's what I was told too but if you read the email I posted, it's says they cannot start PTO until you pay. That said, they've submitted to PG&E the request almost a month ago and the only reason they finally sent me an invoice is because I kept asking and on Thursday the rep I spoke with said he'd manually send me a link rather they waiting for their "bot" to process it. He said it usually takes a few months AFTER PTO is granted to even send the invoice. So many different conflicting stories.

I strongly suspect the reason I got the paypal invoice even though I ordered after the cutoff is because it wasn't done the normal way it is today.

UPDATE paid with 2 credit cards I just opened that I'd never even consider opening normally because of the high annual fees and spending requirement to get the reward (e.g. Capital one requires spending $20k in the first year to get 100k points). Basically saved another $2k+ on the panels. Tesla agent put my request through right away. I asked what the chance of approval was and he said 99.9% of people who ask to pay with CC get their request granted by the supervisor. The charges went through immediately and are reflected on my CC statements already as at least pending. Hopefully, I get PTO in the next couple days. He did say that the payments wouldn't be reflected on the Tesla website for another 1-2 weeks. Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the useful info and stories.

Reactions: Electrph
I am having a post install issue that Tesla is fixing. I got my invoice the day after install. 12.24kW solar and 2 PWs. I called and explained my install issue and asked if I could pay a partial amount with my credit card. I wanted to show good faith that I was willing to pay even though I had an outstanding issue. About 33% of total. No problem, took the card info and sent me a receipt.
About 5 days later, Tesla sent me an update on my issue moving forward. I called and asked again to pay a partial payment with my credit card (same card as before). I asked for another 33% payment (now totaling 66% of invoice). No problem again, new receipt sent again.
About 4 days later, got a call again and Tesla was scheduling a on-site tech to fix my issue. I called again and asked to pay the remainder of the invoice with my credit card. No issues, no problems.

TLDR; I made 3 separate credit card payments over a 2 week time frame with no problems. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: Electrph