Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

using a portable air compressor in a tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Got a Viair 85p portable air compressor for Christmas that requires a 15A/180w power supply such as the cig lighter port next to the usb ports in a 2013 model s. Does anyone know the power supply ratings of that aux outlet and will it support the compressor? Also ho to keep the car on while using the compressor.

Thanks, and Happy New Year

The port has a 15 ampere fuse. A 2013 should have the battery jumper terminals behind the nose cone. Rig up an adapter with a 20 amp fuse and connect to the jumper terminals. I installed one in my 2016 car that does not have the jumper terminals. My electric jack maxes out at 18 amps.

...Viair 85p portable air compressor...

I don't know about that brand but I've used $55 Slime Rugged Digital Tire Inflator because it has an automatic off feature once my desired pressure setting is reached (I can do something else while it does its job) and it has been fine for all my Model S, X, and 3 for quite a few years so far.

...keep the car on while using the compressor....

Usually, it's on enough for me. If not, I just touch the screen or close and open a door.

If you want it to stay on for hours, you can put your car gear to "Neutral" then use the electronic brake button on your 17" display screen to keep it from rolling. Your car will now stay on, including your cigaret socket until your car batter exhausts.

I bought a ViAir 84P air compressor a couple of years ago for our 2015 Model S P85D and its been flawless. I choose the ViAir 84P after talking with ViAir's Customer Support who determined that the 84P would be the fastest flowing air compressor which would run without blowing our Tesla's cigarette lighter fuse. He said their other larger models might work but would probably blow our Tesla cigarette lighter fuse OR their ViAir's onboard fuse when it starts up (surge).

https://smile.amazon.com/VIAIR-84P-84p-Portable-Compressor/dp/B01MS75ZMY

P.S. Recommend you buy a couple of spare fuses for your air compressor just in case. Our ViAir 200P that refills our HUGE 35" BFG All-Terrain KO2 tires on our lifted Jeep Wrangler blows one of its 40A fuses every so often when it starts up... and it's connected directly directly to our Optima Yellow Top battery terminals! Spare fuses are CHEAP insurance.

...A lot of the top Amazon tire inflators use the 12V cigarette lighter plugs for power...

I would choose one that has automatic shutoff at set pressure. Some may have a complicated procedure to set that up.

But Slime Rugged Digital Inflator - 40047 is straightforward with "-" and "+" buttons and you are done. It's available at the source for $55 or at Walmart for $45 but not at Amazon.

s-l400.png