Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using an L14-30 Socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly it’s used as a power in when usiing a generator to power some parts of the house. I will use it the other way and access the power grid

I don't think you can use a connection to a generator as a regular socket. A generator input should never be connected to the grid. Also, generator input is supposed to be male, not female. Power output is always female and power input is always male for safety reasons.

Be prepared for all the people complaining about that type of setup, just ignore them.
Those people are right. Using a L14-30R as an inlet (for the generator) is bad. Personally, before using it to charge the car, I'd double check the breaker. It's probably a 30A breaker, in which case you're fine. If it's not, I'd really question whoever wired that up.

Yes it is a 30 amp breaker that is usually off as it is only to be turned on with the generator plugged in when the main breaker is off. This essentielly a circuit that is there to power up part of the house from the power generated by the generator. And the inlet i will plugged in is female.

I'm planning to use a L-14-30 socket that is at one of my relatives house when I visit.

Tesla is not selling an adapter for it, but EVSE Adapters does L14-30 Twist-lock Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2

Do you see an issue in using an L14-30 knowing that Tesla does not make an adapter for it ?

Thanks
I bought a L14-30 Twist-lock Adapter with a NEMA 14-50 female.
I use it when I park at the marina. And I use the Standard Tesla 15-50 adapter.

You have to change the setting inside your car to 24 A.

Generator Adapter Cord 4-Prong Twist Lock 30A L14-30 Male to RV 50A 14-50 Female
L14-30_15-50.jpg

I have also the NEMA L5-30P to NEMA TT-30R and the TT-30 to NEMA 14-50 (Use for Camping)
L5-30P_TT-30Rm.jpg
TT-30_14-50s.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PA_EV_New
No, you change the setting in the car to 24A if you’re using a 14-50 to L 14-30 adapter. I have no idea what you mean by “change the setting inside your car to 30A (24A nominal)” but it’s not an accurate description. You set the amps at 24A. Period.

If you don’t want to have to remember a manual setting, use the UMC 14-30 adapter instead and a 14-30 to L14-30 adapter and the car will set at 24A automatically.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't think you can use a connection to a generator as a regular socket. A generator input should never be connected to the grid. Also, generator input is supposed to be male, not female. Power output is always female and power input is always male for safety reasons.

That's why you disconnect the house from the grid before plugging in a generator. I know licensed, master electricians that have the same set up in their homes because it's easier. They just aren't idiots when it comes time to use it. Actually, now that I'm thinking, when I'm down south at friends house that's actually the circuit I'm hooked into for the car.

Those people are right. Using a L14-30R as an inlet (for the generator) is bad. Personally, before using it to charge the car, I'd double check the breaker. It's probably a 30A breaker, in which case you're fine. If it's not, I'd really question whoever wired that up.

If they had the knowledge to hook it all up and make it usable for a generator I'm sure they took the time to see what size wire they needed.

They have lockouts(and your relatives should have one) that make it so you can't have both the main and the generator breakers in the ON position at the same time. It might keep them from killing a linesman.

Of course, that would make it difficult to use a charger on the generator-in plug.

There are 3 ways you can go about it, I'm not getting into the safety or legal aspects of them, the forum will do that for you.

L14-30R to 14-30R adapter then get the Tesla 14-30 cord end and the car will limit itself

L14-30R to 14-50R adapter then plug in the tesla cord and limit the car to 24 amps

Get another 14-30 or 14-50 receptacle and jumper it in to the existing L14-30. Just don't plug something into both at the same time. ;) I have this set up with a 14-50 and 14-30, I have a J1772 I don't use anymore that fits that plug.
Well, actually, If you do that set up you could actually charge the car from the generator in a power outage if you're ever there.

That's why you disconnect the house from the grid before plugging in a generator. I know licensed, master electricians that have the same set up in their homes because it's easier. They just aren't idiots when it comes time to use it. Actually, now that I'm thinking, when I'm down south at friends house that's actually the circuit I'm hooked into for the car.

If they had the knowledge to hook it all up and make it usable for a generator I'm sure they took the time to see what size wire they needed.

The problem with all those non-standard setups (female generator input, 30A to 50A adapters etc) is that they only work when the non-idiot who built them operates them. If someone else comes along and try to operate these setup bad thing will happen. Your hose should be safe for everyone, not just for you. That's why we have standards and electrical codes.

The problem with all those non-standard setups (female generator input, 30A to 50A adapters etc) is that they only work when the non-idiot who built them operates them. If someone else comes along and try to operate these setup bad thing will happen. Your hose should be safe for everyone, not just for you. That's why we have standards and electrical codes.

You are right, and I do not dispute what you are saying here. I cannot comment if this setup is actually up to code. I would think so, because this was done by a licence electrician, is it idiot proof god no imo. Am i able to use it safely with a proper adapter such as L14-30 Twist-lock Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 and some knowledge of this setup, I think so. Since this breaker is always at the off position I will only turn it on when it's needed and turn it back off when I'm finished as to ensure that my in-laws are always in the same profile.

Well it's not a non-standard setup, it's a legit L14-30 plug, there's nothing wrong or illegal with it. It's what the person decides to do with it that makes it a problem. I can back feed through my stove outlet or charging outlet or 3 dozen other ones and that doesn't make the install of any of them against code. It's what I decide to do with them that changes the perspective. They work perfectly fine even when an idiot uses them, and they'll work fine when the idiot who didn't build them operates them. And if they ever sell the house some idiot comes along and has a perfectly working L14-30 receptacle in their garage that they can't do any more damage with than any other outlet anywhere in the house.

Well it's not a non-standard setup, it's a legit L14-30 plug, there's nothing wrong or illegal with it. It's what the person decides to do with it that makes it a problem. I can back feed through my stove outlet or charging outlet or 3 dozen other ones and that doesn't make the install of any of them against code. It's what I decide to do with them that changes the perspective. They work perfectly fine even when an idiot uses them, and they'll work fine when the idiot who didn't build them operates them. And if they ever sell the house some idiot comes along and has a perfectly working L14-30 receptacle in their garage that they can't do any more damage with than any other outlet anywhere in the house.

Using this socket to charge a Tesla is correct and safe, providing you are using an adapter that automatically limits the current to 24A (and not 30A to 50A adapter which doesn't). However using this socket to connect a generator is non-standard and definitely not idiot proof.

1. The power from the generator is coming on a male plug, meaning someone touching the pins of this plug when the generator is on may get electrocuted.
  2. You have to to turn off the main before you connect the generator and nothing prevents connecting the generator to the grid if you forgot to do that. This is not only dangerous, but a huge liability if you harm the power company employees or damage their equipment.

Using this socket to charge a Tesla is correct and safe, providing you are using an adapter that automatically limits the current to 24A (and not 30A to 50A adapter which doesn't). However using this socket to connect a generator is non-standard and definitely not idiot proof.

1. The power from the generator is coming on a male plug, meaning someone touching the pins of this plug when the generator is on may get electrocuted.
  2. You have to to turn off the main before you connect the generator and nothing prevents connecting the generator to the grid if you forgot to do that. This is not only dangerous, but a huge liability if you harm the power company employees or damage their equipment.

I know what a dead mans cord is, I have them and they have their purpose. But nothing in my statement is incorrect and nowhere in my statement did I mention anything about the generator setup. I only talked about the outlet that is perfectly safe and legal, what they decide to do with that outlet is entirely up to them.

I know what a dead mans cord is, I have them and they have their purpose. But nothing in my statement is incorrect and nowhere in my statement did I mention anything about the generator setup. I only talked about the outlet that is perfectly safe and legal, what they decide to do with that outlet is entirely up to them.

The problem with both using this socket to charge a Tesla and to connect a generator is that it will increase the likelihood of connecting the generator while connected to the grid. Before, the breaker for this socket was usually off and it was turned on only after the mains was turned off. Now it will be usually on so that it can be used for charging.