Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using CHAdeMO on model 3 on Chargepoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread...

A free 50kW Chargepoint station opened in my neighborhood this summer, so I got a Chademo adapter. Similar to you, the car strongly disagrees with what the station reports: 48kW (station) vs. 41kW (car).
Clearly, there isn't 7kW of loss in the Chademo adapter. Is this typical with Chargepoint stations only or is it just "the way it is" with the Chademo adapter? It just seems like an awfully big discrepancy.

Got my CHAdeMO adapter yesterday and updated to 2019.24.4. Testing charging at a Chargepoint station. Works fine and is charging at 34kW (138 mi/h). I'm at about 80% SOC. Their controller reports 40 kW, so I'm being charged for quite a bit more than I'm getting. Who's lying?

FYI.

I believe that the Tesla measurement is in error.

I used an eVgo station here to charge my Model 3. I've used this same station previously with a Nissan LEAF. I trust the volt and amp measurements that eVgo puts on their display. But my Model 3 display was showing that ballpark range of kW that you're talking about and the eVgo station had a higher number. They charge by the minute here, so it didn't affect pricing. But I think eVgo's numbers were accurate....

I believe that the Tesla measurement is in error.

I used an eVgo station here to charge my Model 3. I've used this same station previously with a Nissan LEAF. I trust the volt and amp measurements that eVgo puts on their display. But my Model 3 display was showing that ballpark range of kW that you're talking about and the eVgo station had a higher number. They charge by the minute here, so it didn't affect pricing. But I think eVgo's numbers were accurate....
Ahh, good data point. Was the LEAF claiming power levels closer to the station's numbers?
Maybe this weekend I'll seek out other, non-Chargepoint Chademo stations in the area and see if the 3 is consistent.

When DC charging, Tesla reports the power going into the battery while the station reports the power leaving the charger. If you are using a lot of heat or A/C, the numbers will diverge even further. Tesla Bjorn shows this often when charging on CHAdeMO.

When DC charging, Tesla reports the power going into the battery while the station reports the power leaving the charger. If you are using a lot of heat or A/C, the numbers will diverge even further. Tesla Bjorn shows this often when charging on CHAdeMO.

Same thing with AC/L2 charging though. The heating has been shown to use about 3kW in the Model 3, I can't see using over 4 with every possible power item on and draining.

Just a follow up, I've now seen my car report power levels in agreement with the Chargepoint charger, and it's been able to max out the available power (~49kW) as well. So I'm not sure why in some circumstances it reports a discrepancy, but I'm convinced it's working properly.