Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using sentry microphone while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long commute and bad traffic pretty much everyday ( Los Angeles traffic) and frequently i encounter alot of instances that drivers just needs to be yelled at. Such as speed up or other such expression other than the middle finger gesture; when they're doing 40 mph on the freeway and holding everyone back, drivers speeds up then cuts through my lane then slows down and other such stupid drivers do.

or sometimes to just say thank you for giving way or being kind on the road.

The latest update of sentry mode , we can speak through our cars speaker using our phones when sentry mode is on. Does anyone know if we can use the microphone as a mega phone while driving to alert the other cars?

I have a long commute and bad traffic pretty much everyday ( Los Angeles traffic) and frequently i encounter alot of instances that drivers just needs to be yelled at. Such as speed up or other such expression other than the middle finger gesture; when they're doing 40 mph on the freeway and holding everyone back, drivers speeds up then cuts through my lane then slows down and other such stupid drivers do.

The latest update of sentry mode , we can speak through our cars speaker using our phones when sentry mode is on. Does anyone know if we can use the microphone as a mega phone while driving to alert the other cars?
We don't have the boombox or live sentry function here in Australia, but from the manual it looks like you can load custom sounds into boombox, so maybe you could make a few different "comments" to inform others of their driving skills.

Reactions: jamesxtxt

Putting aside for the moment what an awful Idea that actually would be (attempting to shout at people using your car speaker while moving at highway speeds), have you looked at the manual for the car? It describes what you can and cant do with boombox. Its not available to me as my model 3 is a 2018, but I found the feature in the manual in about 10 seconds.

I will link it here as well:
=========================

Boombox​

Boombox, an app in Toybox, uses the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) speakers to play custom audio externally while the vehicle is parked, when you press the horn, drive the car, or when the vehicle is moving with Summon. When Boombox is enabled, external volume cannot be controlled, except when you choose Play Current Media. You can customize the sounds by plugging in a specifcally-formatted USB drive (see Formatting a USB drive for Boombox).
Note
Check local laws before use in public spaces.
  1. Play current media
    • Available in Park only.
    • Volume can be controlled internally as well as externally.
    • If Camp Mode is enabled in Climate Controls, you can exit the car and control the volume with the mobile app.
  2. Horn sound
    • Adjusting settings is only allowed in Park.
    • When selecting from USB drive, the first five seconds are played.
  3. Driving sound
    • Certain sounds are only available if you are logged into Spotify or Slacker.
    • Preview is only available in Park.
  4. Summon sound
    • Certain sounds are only available if you are logged into Spotify or Slacker.
    • Plays when in Summon or Smart Summon.
    • Preview is only available in Park.

Formatting a USB drive for Boombox​

You can add your up to five custom Boombox sounds.
  1. With a computer, format a USB drive to FAT32 and upload audio files to a folder named Boombox.
    • Supported file types: .wav and .mp3.
    • There can be as many files as you want in the folder but only five will be selected, chosen alphabetically.
    • File names, of any length, can only contain these characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, ( . - _ ).
    • This drive should only contain one folder; it cannot be shared with Dashcam.
  2. Plug the USB drive into a front USB port.
  3. Choose sounds from your USB drive by selecting them in the Boombox dropdown menus.

I have a long commute and bad traffic pretty much everyday ( Los Angeles traffic) and frequently i encounter alot of instances that drivers just needs to be yelled at.

I can't think of a single scenario when doing so, publicly, would be productive.
If you need to grumble privately, to blow off steam, go for it. But escalating the situation is unlikely to end well for you. Unless your vehicle is fully armored (e.g.: not a Tesla).

You do know that the speakers are inside the car, and are not projecting sound outside. Right?
Also, sentry mode operates exclusively when parked.

Good luck not getting shot with all your driving habits!

I can't think of a single scenario when doing so, publicly, would be productive.
If you need to grumble privately, to blow off steam, go for it. But escalating the situation is unlikely to end well for you. Unless your vehicle is fully armored (e.g.: not a Tesla).

You do know that the speakers are inside the car, and are not projecting sound outside. Right?
Also, sentry mode operates exclusively when parked.

Good luck not getting shot with all your driving habits!
Actually the PWS is a speaker that is mounted under the vehicle and projects sound outside the car. It was added in later Tesla due to federal law requiring EVs and hybrids to make noise.

That said, trying to vent at other drivers is definitely not the intended use and I agree all it does is escalate things and make things a whole lot worse.

Its not like I think CA freeways are a "war zone"...... but, with that being said, what the OP is asking about doing is basically the equivalent of getting rolling down your window, using a powered megaphone, and shouting at people on the freeway.

If OP wants to do that, they can do just what I described above, simply go buy a megaphone and do it.... but, that will absolutely not end well if "the wrong people" are yelled at. EVERYONE would get SUPER annoyed at anyone who had the ...... (let me make sure I dont put any inappropriate verbs in here) "gall" to yell out their window in rush hour traffic on a freeway at them. "most" would not do anything except maybe yell back, however that is NOT "all".

The few times I have been on the east coast, this type of thing actually seems a lot more prevalent and even accepted (yelling at people who are doing something you dont like). Never been a resident on the east coast, but it seemed like people would just yell back and move on with their lives. Here in CA however, this is NOT prevalent, and NOT acceptable, so there is an increasing likelyhood that someone would escalate, and that escalation would go "poorly".

TL ; DR -- this is a SUPER bad idea, even if it could be done, and could easily end up in injury to one or more parties attempting to do this, so dont consider it.

Reactions: jamesxtxt