Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TurboTax to receive tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I received my Tesla a few months back, and was curious to ask someone who has already filled out the IRS Form-8936. It seems like a simple form to fill out and submit through TurboTax, I was wondering if anyone had any issues getting the full refund? Anything I need to know before I submit my tax forms next year.

• Informative
Reactions: Treasure
Yep, if you go through the guided interview process in TurboTax, it will prompt you about the pitcher of an electric vehicle. Easy to do.

Be aware that in past years, the initial distribution of TurboTax didn’t come with all forms. To complete this form, you had to wait for the final updates that arrive in early Feb. Since you don’t get all your other tax info until then, it’s not really a delay. For the 2013 tax year, I had to wait until late March 2014 to receive the tax form that would allow me to file electronically.

Not that it’s an issue for you, but also be aware that the prompts in TurboTax aren’t worded the best. If you skim and don’t read the instructions, you can get suckered into incorrectly claiming the tax credit when you purchase a used EV. Not something for your situation, but be aware that this is incorrect. The tax credit is only available to the first entity that puts the vehicle into service (purchases the vehicle).

Reactions: Treasure
Yep, if you go through the guided interview process in TurboTax, it will prompt you about the pitcher of an electric vehicle. Easy to do.

Be aware that in past years, the initial distribution of TurboTax didn’t come with all forms. To complete this form, you had to wait for the final updates that arrive in early Feb. Since you don’t get all your other tax info until then, it’s not really a delay. For the 2013 tax year, I had to wait until late March 2014 to receive the tax form that would allow me to file electronically.

Not that it’s an issue for you, but also be aware that the prompts in TurboTax aren’t worded the best. If you skim and don’t read the instructions, you can get suckered into incorrectly claiming the tax credit when you purchase a used EV. Not something for your situation, but be aware that this is incorrect. The tax credit is only available to the first entity that puts the vehicle into service (purchases the vehicle).
Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye out and read carefully, as I usually do when dealing with a good chunk of money :)

FYI,

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Your tax forms are ready.
spacer.gif

The wait is over! The tax forms we needed to finish up your taxes are
ready to go.

We're ready to walk you through:

• Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

Simply open TurboTax on your comptuer and it should update automatically.

Having trouble? Make sure you're connected to the internet, then select
Check for updates in your top TurboTax menu.

Thanks,
Intuit Team
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Reactions: Leeclanual
FYI,

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ready to go.

Thanks,
Intuit Team
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Yep! submitted successfully yesterday, also approved yesterday. Thanks so much!

FYI,

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ready to go.

Thanks,
Intuit Team
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Thx for sharing

Reactions: mswlogo
Yep! submitted successfully yesterday, also approved yesterday. Thanks so much!

I usually wait until the last week of Tax Season to submit.
In case I've learned anything new (I've had companies occasionally release an updated W2 due to an error), a 1099 I forgot about arrives or a TurboTax software update etc.

But I'm tempted to submit now, while the Government is open for Business, especially where they owe me for a change.

I usually wait until the last week of Tax Season to submit.
In case I've learned anything new (I've had companies occasionally release an updated W2 due to an error), a 1099 I forgot about arrives or a TurboTax software update etc.

But I'm tempted to submit now, while the Government is open for Business, especially where they owe me for a change.
The government opening was a good enough reason to take the risk for me :)

Reactions: mswlogo