Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For 2023 Tesla owners who purchased & qualify for $7500 tax rebate but have yet to received the form, here’s how…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to Tesla.com/contactus then log into your account. It’ll then read “Ask a question” at the top of the page. Click the drop down & select “Generate 2023 IRA Document”. You’ll then enter select your VIN it pertains to & then enter your SSN. Select submit & it’ll give you a confirmation stating you should receive the document within 24hrs.

I completed mine earlier this afternoon & already see it “IRA Clean Vehicles Credit Report” added to the document section of my Model Y. Hope this helps anyone who has yet to receive there’s.

Got a question for anyone who did this. Once you got the form generated how long did you wait before filling? I generated the form on the 22nd and then filled my taxes later that day. The next day on the 23rd I got a rejection letter from the IRS because my "VIN did not match". The VIN in the form matches the VIN that was submitted to the IRS. I can only assume the IRS hasn't received the form from Tesla themselves.

Got a question for anyone who did this. Once you got the form generated how long did you wait before filling? I generated the form on the 22nd and then filled my taxes later that day. The next day on the 23rd I got a rejection letter from the IRS because my "VIN did not match". The VIN in the form matches the VIN that was submitted to the IRS. I can only assume the IRS hasn't received the form from Tesla themselves.
That's interesting, the IRS responded to you so quick. How did you file your taxes? Did you get some type of email/letter?

That's interesting, the IRS responded to you so quick. How did you file your taxes? Did you get some type of email/letter?
Hey!

I e-filed through FreeTaxUSA. Both times I got an email (I filed before I knew about the required 15400 and then again after I generated the 15400):
2023 Federal Tax Return Rejected​
To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.​
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
The IRS is rejecting your return because the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on one of your vehicles used to claim the Clean Vehicle Credit doesnt match their records.

To correct your return:
  1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Choose Clean Vehicle Credits from the Deductions / Credits menu.
  3. Check that you've entered each VIN correctly.
  4. Resubmit your return.

I filed again Friday so let's see if Tesla got my VIN over to them now!

You shouldn't need to request anything. Log into your account and expand the Documents section:
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 10.46.05 AM.png

You shouldn't need to request anything. Log into your account and expand the Documents section:
It depends on when you took delivery of your vehicle. For people earlier in 2023 (like me) Tesla wasn't asking for your SSN so they could auto-generate these forms. I think that started later in the year...March/April maybe? Tesla set up something in their support page where you could generate this form by selecting your reservation and entering your SSN. I had to do that to get the IRA document in my documents section.

It depends on when you took delivery of your vehicle. For people earlier in 2023 (like me) Tesla wasn't asking for your SSN so they could auto-generate these forms. I think that started later in the year...March/April maybe? Tesla set up something in their support page where you could generate this form by selecting your reservation and entering your SSN. I had to do that to get the IRA document in my documents section.

ah yeah, maybe later in the year. I took delivery late 23 and didn't provide anything.

Welp, just got the email. Tax return was rejected again. Not sure what to do at the moment. The deadline for Tesla to report my vehicle is in a few days. I have the IRA document dated 1/23 but at this point I don't even know when I'd be able to submit my tax return since it keeps getting rejected.

I contacted Tesla and the person on the phone said that they'd have to email another department because from their knowledge all the VINs should already be submitted. They said they understand that the deadline to report all VINs is at the end of this month so they will get me a response in 24 hours.

I contacted Tesla and the person on the phone said that they'd have to email another department because from their knowledge all the VINs should already be submitted. They said they understand that the deadline to report all VINs is at the end of this month so they will get me a response in 24 hours.
how did this go for you? I don't see the form and it's now 2/5/24 I'm guessing I'm late to the $7500 party?

dam I am just barely learning about this IRA credit report. Was the deadline really end of January to claim the $7500 tax credit?
I just did a quick search and IRS has extended the deadline to 2/15

The IRS is extending the due date sellers have to provide these reports until February 15, 2024. As a result, for vehicles placed in service in calendar year 2023, you must submit required information about a qualifying clean vehicle sale to the IRS by February 15, 2024.

Reactions: fredzos

The IRS is extending the due date sellers have to provide these reports until February 15, 2024. As a result, for vehicles placed in service in calendar year 2023, you must submit required information about a qualifying clean vehicle sale to the IRS by February 15, 2024.
To be clear, this deadline you're discussing is for just requesting that Tesla generate the form... correct? This is the notification that the IRS needs by 3 days from now. We don't have to actually file our taxes by 2/15, right? This is just the deadline that the seller/manufacturer has to prepare/submit the form 15400 is how I understand it. We then submit that form with our taxes when we file them.

If the co-owner is not listed on the Tesla clean vehicle seller report, can they still claim the tax credit? There are conflicting accounts: some suggest the co-owner could claim it, while others indicate that the credit is only allowable on the tax return of the owner listed in the seller’s report. I initially misunderstood the intricacies of the tax credit system and found that I don't qualify for it. However, my mom, who is the co-owner listed on the registration, does qualify. Despite her eligibility, I am the only one listed on the seller report.

To be clear, this deadline you're discussing is for just requesting that Tesla generate the form... correct? This is the notification that the IRS needs by 3 days from now. We don't have to actually file our taxes by 2/15, right? This is just the deadline that the seller/manufacturer has to prepare/submit the form 15400 is how I understand it. We then submit that form with our taxes when we file them.
That’s correct

do you or anyone know which team handles the IRA form generation? IRA form did not get generated for me, I've requested last week and today. I called sales, which transferred me to customer service, which transferred me back to sales who said they cannot generate it and is sending me back to Tech support. holding for an hour now.

That’s correct
That's what I understood but reading some wording here made me think maybe we had to have our taxes filed before 2/15 which, as you can imagine, had me a little bit concerned. I requested a copy of the Form 15400 from Tesla and see it in my Tesla account docs now so I would assume that whatever deadline is being discussed here has already been satisfied if we have one of those for 2023.