Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usual rear windshield tint issue or I got fooled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my 2022 M3 tinted with full rear windshield at NJ Boom boom in New Jersey which was supposed to be a legit place for this job.
Few days after I found this scratch/fold on the very top of rear windshield.
Called this place, they asked me to come over where the technician along with their manager started selling me the story that unfortunately this is usual for rear windshield of M3, it's a complicated job and if they were to redo this there would be no guarantee that something like this wouldn't show up again. Wonderful thing to learn afterwards.

Has anyone faced issues like this and how's your rear windshield tint if tinted on full size? Am I being too perfectionist for the money paid ($950)?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 268
Lol. They creased the tint when shrinking it to the glass and are telling you to live with it? Installer error. TBH they just dont want to have to take it all off, redo the back, and pay for the sheet to redo it...if they are using thick ceramic tint it takes a while and finesse to shrink right.

@shmiker, wrinkled tint is not usual for the rear of a Model 3. That is complete garbage. $950 for only the rear window seems very high as well. It's no secret that the 3 has a huge rear piece of glass but that should be obvious for an installer and they should be totally aware of the challenge and whether they can handle it. If it's really true that the wrinkles are the norm, you would think they'd tell you in advance so you have the opportunity to say no. My 3 was one of the very first batch of 3s and when I took it to my trusted and highly experienced tinter he knew (even though mine was the first 3 he tinted) that the rear would be a challenge. But because of his high degree of skill he was able to do a flawless no wrinkle job. Also I paid about 1/2 of what you paid including the one piece rear plus 4 side windows. For the sides the tint goes right to the very edge with no gaps so it's difficult to tell there's any tint at all.

Way too many rookies out there practicing on people's cars. Unfortunately asking them to redo it is probably not worth it as they are obviously unskilled and would likely damage the heating elements for the re&re. I'd at least ask for a partial refund. I'm pretty sure if you check the tint on local 3 owners you would unlikely find a wrinkle like yours. Better yet, ask one of these other guys to go with you back to that tint shop and ask them why it's not an issue on the other car.

That should be replaced. They either ordered the wrong size sheet, or they messed up that sheet. There should be 100% coverage on the rear window.

My guy even told me he had to order a specific sheet, and I had to wait for it to come in before I could get my car in for him to tint. Flawless install on my tint as well. This place just sucks and has no excuse for this result.