Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UWB not available with new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 SR today and I can't seem to use the ability to open the boot when I'm near to the car (The 'Auto Trunk' feature) when using my iPhone 15 pro (running 17.5.1), as a key.
The functionality is turned on in the car, which is running 2024.14.9

I don't appear to have an option to turn on Nearby Interactions on my iPhone - there is nothing in that list.
The iPhone Tesla key has not offered be any 'upgrade', even after re-setting it.

I had a M3 LR prior to this if that makes any difference.

Can anyone advise please?

I've...
Re-booted the car
Re-booted ny Phone,
Toggled Blutooth,
Re-registered my Tesla App
Removed it as a key and re-added it.

Nearby Interactions turned on?

IMG_8846.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Mallikanth
Upvote 0
Picked up my Model 3 SR today and I can't seem to use the ability to open the boot when I'm near to the car (The 'Auto Trunk' feature) when using my iPhone 15 pro (running 17.5.1), as a key.

I don't appear to have an option to turn on Nearby Interactions on my iPhone - there is nothing in that list.
The iPhone Tesla key has not offered be any 'upgrade', even after re-setting it.

I had a M3 LR prior to this if that makes any difference.

Can anyone advise please?

I've...
Re-booted the car
Re-booted ny Phone,
Toggled Blutooth,
Re-registered my Tesla App
Removed it as a key and re-added it.
I also have 2024.14.9. At first, I have the APP asking for permission to use nearby interaction. And the auto trunk feature worked the first time I tried it. But then it stopped working. So I removed the phone key, uninstall and reinstall the Tesla app. This time, the app does not ask for permission to use nearby interaction at all. Nor did I receive a prompt to upgrade the phone key to use UWB. The auto trunk feature does not work obviously. I have also tried to reset the car to factory, double press the button to reboot the touchscreen, power cycle the car. None of these work. I have no idea what other steps I could take.

Upvote 0
I only use an iPhone 11 for development, and don't have a Highland with UWB either, but you can check that the app has UWB enabled by looking in Settings / Privacy / Nearby Interactions.
If the Tesla app is showing as enabled, then my guess is firmware update in the car or an App "feature" AKA bug ;)

Attachments

• 16179.jpg
    16179.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
I only use an iPhone 11 for development, and don't have a Highland with UWB either, but you can check that the app has UWB enabled by looking in Settings / Privacy / Nearby Interactions.
If the Tesla app is showing as enabled, then my guess is firmware update in the car or an App "feature" AKA bug ;)
There is nothing in nearby interaction. Not surprising as the app never asked for permission to use it. The strange thing is that it worked one time but then stopped. I tried reinstall the app but the app does not ask for nearby interaction anymore. It seems it could be
IMG_0114.png
a bug with the app.

Reactions: meavydev
Upvote 0
1) Removed Tesla app from phone
2) Removed all Bluetooth connection to car,
3) Moved phone out of Bluetooth range if car,
4) Removed any connection that uses Bluetooth from car,
5) Restarted car,
6) Restarted phone,
7) Got in the car with a key card,
8) With the phone now in the car it now gives me this option to upgrade the key - PROGRESS!!
9) Upgrading the key and pressing the 'start' button the app offers, appears to do nothing. No prompts or changes from either the phone or the car.
10) Nearby interactions setting on the phone has no entries for any App.
11) Around an hour or so later the option to Upgrade my key no longer appears. - BACK TO SQUARE ONE
12) Nearby Interactions still has no entries for any App.
13) Needless to say the boot won't open with Nearby Interactions (As you'd expect with it not enabled).

But what else can be tried?
I've raised a service request but I don't hold much hope for that.

Upvote 0
1) Removed Tesla app from phone
2) Removed all Bluetooth connection to car,
3) Moved phone out of Bluetooth range if car,
4) Removed any connection that uses Bluetooth from car,
5) Restarted car,
6) Restarted phone,
7) Got in the car with a key card,
8) With the phone now in the car it now gives me this option to upgrade the key - PROGRESS!!
9) Upgrading the key and pressing the 'start' button the app offers, appears to do nothing. No prompts or changes from either the phone or the car.
10) Nearby interactions setting on the phone has no entries for any App.
11) Around an hour or so later the option to Upgrade my key no longer appears. - BACK TO SQUARE ONE
12) Nearby Interactions still has no entries for any App.
13) Needless to say the boot won't open with Nearby Interactions (As you'd expect with it not enabled).

But what else can be tried?
I've raised a service request but I don't hold much hope for that.
I have tried all of that, plus power cycle the vehicle, holding both buttons on the steering wheel to restart the screen, factory reset the car. No option of upgrade the key, neither are there any entries under nearby interaction.

Which version of software and the app do you have? My car is 2024.14.9 and the Tesla app is 4.34.0-2695. I suspect that it is a bug from the current version of the Tesla app. I have nearby interaction enabled for the last version 4.33.5 and the hands free trunk has worked before (although not very consistently). Not sure what else can be tried. Maybe we should just wait for the next Tesla app version.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It hasn't worked consistently on mine either.

More success on a parking lot somewhere than my garage. Sometimes very sensitive, walking by the rear of your car triggers the opening beeps and at times, nothing at all.
Maybe signal interferences, timing ….or simply the feature/function still needs more tweaking. Might get more consistent on future software updates.

Upvote 0
It hasn't worked consistently on mine either.

More success on a parking lot somewhere than my garage. Sometimes very sensitive, walking by the rear of your car triggers the opening beeps and at times, nothing at all.
Maybe signal interferences, timing ….or simply the feature/function still needs more tweaking. Might get more consistent on future software updates.
Same experience. It worked for me on the previous version of the Tesla app, but it is not consistent; maybe it worked 1 in 4 to 5 times. Then I updated the app to 4.34.0, it stopped working. I delete and reinstall the app, the nearby interaction prompt does not even appear, no wonder the hands free trunk stopped working. Hopefully it could be resolved quickly in the next app update.

Upvote 0
I have tried all of that, plus power cycle the vehicle, holding both buttons on the steering wheel to restart the screen, factory reset the car. No option of upgrade the key, neither are there any entries under nearby interaction.

Which version of software and the app do you have? My car is 2024.14.9 and the Tesla app is 4.34.0-2695. I suspect that it is a bug from the current version of the Tesla app. I have nearby interaction enabled for the last version 4.33.5 and the hands free trunk has worked before (although not very consistently). Not sure what else can be tried. Maybe we should just wait for the next Tesla app version.
Same as you...
iPhone 15 pro (running 17.5.1), as a key with App version 4.34.0-2695

Upvote 0
Im sure you’ve done this but have you deleted the Tesla app and then gone to Settings > General > iPhone Storage and manually deleted the on-device storage if needed after deletion? Sometimes the local storage doesn’t get deleted if you delete the app from Springboard.

I had to do this after the app lost contact with one of our Y’s as well as manually delete the Bluetooth associations from the phone.

• Helpful
Upvote 0