Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 - Increased Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been at DEN since Monday morning and it's lost ~80 miles in range, so just over 1mph loss. This is with Sentry Mode on and Summon Standby on. Before Summon Standby I was averaging about 1mph, so not much change for me. However, I do get a ton of Sentry events at the airport (I've had over 5,000 in a week before), so my guess is that Summon Standby isn't affecting me much since Sentry was already recording a good amount of time before the update anyway.

I had the same condition as well with Sentry. I fixed it by disabling it, and my airport parking situation is pretty safe so worth the trade off. I imagine it’s just an issue of not sleeping so probably having both on versus one or the other is pretty similar in terms of sleep/drain.

I had the same condition as well with Sentry. I fixed it by disabling it, and my airport parking situation is pretty safe so worth the trade off. I imagine it’s just an issue of not sleeping so probably having both on versus one or the other is pretty similar in terms of sleep/drain.
Yep, agreed. I just leave mine on as I'm only 25 miles from the airport so arrive with plenty of charge and am usually not gone more than a week, so I'm fine with the drain. Plus, I'd hate to have Sentry off, even though I've never had a problem at the airport, just in case...

How long does it take your car go to sleep?
Now, do the calculation for what percentage that the car is awake when you check it every 6 hours and then calculate it at 12 hours. If you let it sleep, it will use a lot less.

The car is not going to sleep at all if it is stuck in Summon Standby Mode (which it is in this case...). So checking it is not going to matter one way or the other. :rolleyes:

I lose 1.3 miles every 2 hours while parked in my garage with absolutely no systems on.

You should probably check that out!

Summon Standby Off
Sentry Off (You can turn it off in the settings page as well if it's in "auto enable" mode and somehow turning on automatically).
Cabin Overheat Protection, Off
Turn off the Teslacam (no red dot on camera icon). Removing USB from slot is optional. It does matter!
Check that it's not stuck looking for a software update on the Software screen. If that's the case, all bets are off.
Turn off Data Sharing if you want (it does seem to matter). Note this will turn off your traffic display and you'll need to manually turn it back on later even after you turn data sharing on again.
Turn off WiFi if you want.

Update:
10/22/2019 - 808pm - Plugout = 90%
10/23/2019 - 955am = 87%
10/23/2019 - 800pm = 84%
10/24/2019 - 921am = 82%
10/25/2019 - 1037am = 75%
10/25/2019 - 530pm = 73% (this is when I got back to the airport).

When I got there, I did see the Standby Summon mode was on. I've disabled it, and we'll see next time how it goes.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Summon Standby Off
Sentry Off (You can turn it off in the settings page as well if it's in "auto enable" mode and somehow turning on automatically).
Turn off the Teslacam (no red dot on camera icon). Removing USB from slot is optional. It does matter!
Check that it's not stuck looking for a software update on the Software screen. If that's the case, all bets are off.
Turn off Data Sharing if you want (it does seem to matter). Note this will turn off your traffic display and you'll need to manually turn it back on later even after you turn data sharing on again.

Thanks, as stated, I'd normally lose <1% after three days of unplugged at the airport, so I think it really was Summon Standby. I have no complaints with the small draw that existed before this.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Summon Standby Off

• No summon, so no stand by
  • Sentry is set to off at home
  • Tesla cam has been on since day-1 - will try shutting if off overnight tonight and see what happens
  • software advance is off
  • data sharing is off
  • Wifi is also off
Still at 1.3... and does not charge to 100% (mile range).

• No summon, so no stand by
  • Sentry is set to off at home
  • Tesla cam has been on since day-1 - will try shutting if off overnight tonight and see what happens
  • software advance is off
  • data sharing is off
  • Wifi is also off
Still at 1.3... and does not charge to 100% (mile range).

as an FYI, unless there are bugs (its been known), Tesla cam, data sharing and WiFi should NOT make any difference to vampire drain, since none of these keep the car computer awake.

• Informative
Reactions: St☰v☰
as an FYI, unless there are bugs (its been known), Tesla cam, data sharing and WiFi should NOT make any difference to vampire drain, since none of these keep the car computer awake.

Agreed. It does appear that they do make a difference though. I have not had the patience to figure out exactly which one creates the biggest issue though. Seems like 1-2 miles a day (rather than 3-4) is possible with all the silly steps.

It'd be nice to have a button for low power mode that is customisable, allowing you to set all the options you want for low power mode all in one place so you don't have to search through all the menus to ensure you checked/unchecked everything. Then another button to reset things back to your previous settings (or happen automatically when you start driving again). Alternatively, it could be a setting like sentry or auto summon that includes or excludes locations.

I lost 100 miles of range at the TYS Airport last week in 129 hours. I need at least 150 miles of range to get to the airport, park my car that long, and get home, given my current power settings and drain :-(.

Back at the airport. Been unplugged for over 12 hours. Haven’t lost any battery in terms of percent. Still at 90%, so that does confirm it was that Summon idle feature. I’ll likely be unplugged for four more days, I suspect I’ll lose a percent or two, but not like what I was seeing before.

I think it's Sentry mode that's doing it in my case... I went away for a few days and left my car at BNA. I turned off Summon Standby before I left and lost 20 miles in about 18 hours. I turned off Sentry and range stayed constant for 2 days - not a single mile lost. Unfortunately I REALLY want Sentry on when I leave the car at the airport for days :-( . Guess I'll only be able to use Sentry when I plan to be home to charge. At least I know what the culprit is now!

I think it's Sentry mode that's doing it in my case... I went away for a few days and left my car at BNA. I turned off Summon Standby before I left and lost 20 miles in about 18 hours. I turned off Sentry and range stayed constant for 2 days - not a single mile lost. Unfortunately I REALLY want Sentry on when I leave the car at the airport for days :-( . Guess I'll only be able to use Sentry when I plan to be home to charge. At least I know what the culprit is now!

I compromise and turn Sentry on at night/off in the morning when its at the airport for extended stay, on the basis its late night when the car is most at risk. Annoying to have to remember but that's what my phone is for :) .. I've not worked out a way to automate the on/off process yet.

My “vampire drain” has increased since v10. Stats app had me at a steady 0.8mph (I live in very south Texas and leave sentry mode on, and the interior temperature management on (with AC)

it’s gone up to 1.2mph with v10. I don’t care. I plug it in every night and love knowing I have sentry mode and interior temp management.

Hey guys.
Discovered that i had vampire drain every night when parked @ home. Even with WIFI disabled in the car it tooks the m3 LR more than 2h after each drive to fall a sleep, draining about 1 KWH.
After removing the wifi network from the car there where no sleeping problems when parked @ home. Car fell a sleep within 13 minutes. So no disable but forgetting the wifi network is worth to try.

• Love
Reactions: DB-Cooper