Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V2G in a robotaxi world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At scale, V2G won't be needed as much, as charging will be such a significant portion of energy usage. At that point, toggling between charging and not charging will be sufficient to smooth the grid and even act as a battery to manage the daily cycle. ie. cars will charge during the day when solar is available but not at night. This will make overnight usage of vehicles to sleep whilst driving an extremely cost effective option.
IMHO, the time for V2G is long past due. Here are solar curtailment data from CAISO for Sunday (worst case I’ve seen so far, but significant curtailments are happening even weekdays now. That’s 8 GW of LOST energy from 10am to 4 pm: Enough to fully charge 100,000 EVs (80KWh/car), EVERY HOUR, nearly 8 hours. This is equivalent to a million, 64 KWh EVs or the typical daily driving needs of two million EVs. This is only California, and not even all of it (if I recall correctly, CAISO doesn’t include San Diego and some other areas). This is the environmental cost of wasting the equivalent of eight nuclear power plants. These data show that CAISO could use 64 GWh of utility batteries installed TODAY. Perhaps the entire US could use 100s, maybe even 1000 GWh of batteries TODAY, not in some pie-in-the-sky future. In another five years there will likely be another 10-20 GW of solar added in California alone. What will happen then? And why is there any gas generators online?
California ISO - Supply, Today's Outlook

5F9472F2-7387-48DD-B4D3-D9D74FA252B2.jpeg

8CC33DFB-1C1C-4534-A0CA-EBB9ED7C65BE.jpeg

IMHO, the time for V2G is long past due. Here are solar curtailment data from CAISO for Sunday (worst case I’ve seen so far, but significant curtailments are happening even weekdays now. That’s 8 GW of LOST energy from 10am to 4 pm: Enough to fully charge 100,000 EVs (80KWh/car), EVERY HOUR, nearly 8 hours. This is equivalent to a million, 64 KWh EVs or the typical daily driving needs of two million EVs. This is only California, and not even all of it (if I recall correctly, CAISO doesn’t include San Diego and some other areas). This is the environmental cost of wasting the equivalent of eight nuclear power plants. These data show that CAISO could use 64 GWh of utility batteries installed TODAY. Perhaps the entire US could use 100s, maybe even 1000 GWh of batteries TODAY, not in some pie-in-the-sky future. In another five years there will likely be another 10-20 GW of solar added in California alone. What will happen then? And why is there any gas generators online?
California ISO - Supply, Today's Outlook

View attachment 925156

View attachment 925158
Nice charts, though I think your cross-hatch area should be flatter. A lot of utility-scale solar is on trackers now, so not as "peaky". Rooftop is still peaky, of course.

This is mostly a spring/fall problem for now. Even more important than V2G would be millions of EVs connected to smart, slow chargers at work. They can absorb those solar kWhs for 5 cents/kWh while providing valuable FCAS services without the need for expensive stationary storage. It also removes a huge EV problem for people who live in apartments and such.

Maybe add V2H to soften those evening demand spikes in the summer. That gives people a feeling of control and independence from the "big, evil utility company" whereas V2G sounds too much like surrendering control of their car's battery to PG&E.