Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recapping my 3500 mile road trip frustrations

Supercharger amenities – This may end up being the dealbreaker for me. Perhaps half of the locations had no ready access to restroom facilities. Worse, the vehicle gives you no indication at all of what is nearby. There are effectively ZERO gas stations in this country without restroom facilities. How did Tesla overlook this? Outlet malls don’t have open bathrooms 24 hours a day, neither do applebees or grocery stores. Twice we were told bathrooms were not available to “Tesla people.” So at the exact moment where I have 20 minutes of downtime, I don’t have a bathroom?. To be fair, Sheetz in NC and Kum & Go in IA/MO hosted a number of superchargers and earned my business multiple times as a result, but these were more exceptions than the rule.
I agree that any Supercharger (Tesla or non Tesla) should
at least provides some 24/7 restrooms facilities.

I was watching this video showing a German Tesla Supercharger, in Brunnthal near Munich,
using what seems to be some converted containers,
to provide restrooms and a place to seat and eat while charging.

See at 0:50

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
  • Yes, Tesla put chargers in the locations it could get free/cheap land, and that sucks.
This is a little frustrating. Tesla only has finite money to build its own nationwide charging infrastructure. Would you prefer 1/3 the locations but with posh facilities and bathroom attendants? Op calls it a dealbreaker. He‘s probably not got the right temperament right for early adoption.

Reactions: IronQQQ and SO16
Your frunk issue sucks esp since happened in mid road-trip AND. it somehow disabled FSD features. But you mention many issues I’ve never had. Frequent bad routing? Difficulty locating superchargers/off-ramps? my timezone on my 3 updates before my phone does. Some of your issues look to be educational and you seem frustrated that the experience isn’t more intuitive. Some of your issues are real, but only apply to you (Frunk defect). Some of them you just aren’t willing to compromise anything over your ICE experience (bathrooms in superchargers). I can tell you things were much worse 4 years ago in every aspect you described (except SC pricing). Ownership experience has steadily improved over that time. I expect it will continue to improve …. we will get to a critical mass of ev owners and then the private sector will race to fill in the gaps in the charging infrastructure. Maybe even get you some bathrooms ;)

Reactions: buckets0fun

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Good post.

I didn’t read all the replies and maybe it was covered.

But something sounds wrong with OP TACC. It should not veer from target speed at all. I’ve had a 3, X and S and they were all dead on. Up hills, downs and flats.

Sounds like OP’s broken. Perhaps it’s a yet another side effect of the hood latch sensor. ;)

Reactions: IronQQQ

bradtem

Robocar consultant
Dec 18, 2018
Sunnyvale, CA
This is a little frustrating. Tesla only has finite money to build its own nationwide charging infrastructure. Would you prefer 1/3 the locations but with posh facilities and bathroom attendants? Op calls it a dealbreaker. He‘s probably not got the right temperament right for early adoption.
That's not the choice. The land is a small part of the cost of the charging station, it doesn't triple the cost! Not even remotely.
Rather it's a trade off. Do you want to spend a small amount more to improve the charging experience? Well, some spends you want to do, some you don't. One can debate the merits. Tesla's goal is to make you buy a Tesla because you know you can road trip. At first, all that matters is doing it at all, even if you have to detour for 10 minutes. In time, it starts to matter how pleasant the experience is.

My supposition is that Tesla got its initial locations for free, pitching that some rich Tesla drivers will shop at your outlet mall. The reality is most of us don't want to go to outlet malls as we charge. We want to eat, or perhaps shop at more useful places like target/grocery stores/walmart etc. And they have moved in that direction.

It varies from location to location. At Main Street Cupertino they are on the 2nd floor of the garage. In Daly City they are on the 5th floor -- a definite pain to drive up. They probably let the mall decide because they didn't want to pay extra.

bradtem

Robocar consultant
Dec 18, 2018
Sunnyvale, CA
Why can’t the chargers have a cover over them for when it rains?
Some do, usually solar panels which they have put at some chargers. There are now 2 superchargers that have full lounges with a bar, vending machines, dining tables etc.

But they started with a "just get them installed" approach. In the future, it would be nice to see at the very least picnic tables to eat your take-out at (with a roof) and gas station amenities like air pumps and windshield cleaning squeegie. But for that, somebody would have to service them. The ideal amenity would be beat-up loaner Teslas you can use to drive to a restaurant while charging when there isn't a good restaurant at the location. Just program them to temporarily unlock to your card. I would pay a small rental fee.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC