Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 DashCam - how long does it record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
HI,

I was wondering if anyone knew how long the V9 dashcam recorded. I thought it was until 100 video files were present and then it started over writing. But today I looked on my USB drive and noticed non of the files from any previous day are there. The 19 files from this morning are there, nothing earlier.

Also, the dates on the files are off by 8 hours. Looks like UTC time. But the file names are local time. Very strange.

HI,

I was wondering if anyone knew how long the V9 dashcam recorded. I thought it was until 100 video files were present and then it started over writing. But today I looked on my USB drive and noticed non of the files from any previous day are there. The 19 files from this morning are there, nothing earlier.

Also, the dates on the files are off by 8 hours. Looks like UTC time. But the file names are local time. Very strange.

3 min increments until thE storage is full and then it recycles over non event files 1x1. The quantity is based on resolution selected and card size.

• Disagree
Reactions: johnm and MP3Mike
It keeps the last 60 minutes of, 1 minute, files plus whatever files you have saved, in 10 minute blocks, by tapping the dashcam icon.

And that is the last clock 60 minutes, not the last 60 minutes of active driving. So drive for an hour, park for an hour, and you will have no files left. (Or just empty files.)

It keeps the last 60 minutes of, 1 minute, files plus whatever files you have saved, in 10 minute blocks, by tapping the dashcam icon.

And that is the last clock 60 minutes, not the last 60 minutes of active driving. So drive for an hour, park for an hour, and you will have no files left. (Or just empty files.)

1 minute per file makes sense and tracks with the time attributes on the files.

But, not seeing anything more than 10 seconds or so after the car is parked. Based on what I have see, I am pretty sure it does not record once you park the car, walk away and it locks itself.

And definitely not seeing 60 minutes of wall time in the files. More like 25 minutes elapsed time. 19 minutes of video on the 19 files + nothing for the 6 minutes we were away. Given that I am wondering where the heck are my previous day's videos.

What I have shows us leaving garage, driving to a place and a few seconds after we parked. Then no recording until we walk up and get in. Then shuts off a few seconds after we park the car in the garage.

Oh sorrrh!! I was messing with my blackvue and misread the title, sorry I’ll delete my post.

More than what WE can record with a USB for the native Dashcam/DVR, do we know how far back Tesla can store events that maybe THEY can access?

Events may get stored for a while. But they are small and easier to transmit. Images are likely never sent to Tesla unless associated with an event like a crash. The bandwidth to send all those files is not there on the AT&T network without a lot of extra charges. And I did a scan of the USB drive and there is not a hidden cache of video files.

The way Tesla stores videos is not optimal for quick viewing (full of small 1-minute videos, the three cameras in three different files ...).

For those interested, there is an Android App called TeslaCam Viewer on the PlayStore, you plug in your flash drive in your phone with an OTG adapter and you can watch the recorded videos side by side and well organised by date.