Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9: Today's Date Eliminated from Screens. Bummer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty happy with V9. I like the new UI, seems more intuitive and easy to run.

Since our model X is a company vehicle, we keep a (paper) mileage log so that each driver will faithfully track miles to keep the tax people happy. Since there are multiple drivers, and many occasions when a driver does not necessarily have cell phone on them, a paper mileage log works well.

And of course the first thing on the mileage log is today's date. Used to be easy: just glance at the date shown on the calendar icon (today's date). But the new V9 calendar icon just has a 31 on it: useless.

We tried using the browser, but frequently don't have LTE, so that's proven not to be a viable option.

I don't know about you, but remembering today's date is not something that comes easy to me. It frequently generates a (confused) discussion if there are multiple people in the car.

Seems a pretty basic oversight that the dash clock icon has no date on it.
With V9, now there is no date anywhere on the Model X. Really my only gripe with V9.

As I recall, the date used to be displayed at the top of the console display all of the time. In one of the major releases, Tesla decided to reclaim that space and eliminated the date and briefly only displayed the current time-of-day on the dashboard (they later added that back to the top of the console display).

The current day of the month has been shown as the icon for the calendar app. Up until V8, the app bar was present all of the time, so you always had the current day of the month displayed. With V8, "auto-hide" was implemented, hiding the app bar after a few seconds, requiring a screen touch to re-display it.

With V9, the calendar icon in the new app bar appears to display "31" all of the time. Perhaps this is a bug - and Tesla could fix this in an update to always display the current day of the month, restoring the feature from previous releases.

If you bring up the calendar app, it displays the current date. Plus, you can set the calendar app to always display or display during portions of the day, so you'll see the current calendar date & events upon re-entering the car.

Many years ago, Musk promised we would have increased "user interface customization" - and we still haven't seen that. Each major release makes changes to the user interface, but with little (if any) ability for users to customize the interface, and instead forces upon us some standard UI features - like auto-hide in V8 and forcing the navigation to always be at the top in V9.

While it seems like a little thing, the UI would be improved if we could have a little more control over the interface.

If you bring up the calendar app, it displays the current date. Plus, you can set the calendar app to always display or display during portions of the day, so you'll see the current calendar date & events upon re-entering the car.
Unfortunately, the calendar app is totally blank unless you have a phone on you and the calendar app has your profile and is connected with bluetooth. We end up with folks in the car with no phone on a regular basis, due to the nature of our business.

The only solution I've been able to come up is to use the browser and do a google search for today's date. But my LTE has really been flaky so far with V9, so that is failing more often than I'd like.

Hooray - in the 42.2 update, the calendar app icon now has today's date in the icon (same as Version 8). So even when we get in the car without a phone, we have an easy, reliable way to get the date when we dutifully fill out our (paper) company mileage log.

So cool that Tesla fixed this little annoyance. Nav autopilot is pretty cool too!

You always wonder how many of those little things are something a programmer ‘dropped’ in and weren’t documented. So, when they rip it up and start over, they don’t reappear until ‘we’ complain about them.

Think of how many complete rewrites have missing features! :D