Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valuing my model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a refresh '21 model S LR with FSD and 21" wheels in June of '21. I added PPF to the front, b-pillars, door edges, and lower rails, along with ceramic coating on the rest of the car and ceramic tint on the side windows and hatchback. I now have approx 21.5K miles. I really miss having a convertible and don't feel I can justify an additional car to satisfy this craving, so I'm thinking about selling. My issue becomes the valuation of the car is so random and seemingly low from dealers and online (carmax, carvana, etc.). I believe if I sell to an individual, the FSD should transfer at least once, right? With that being said, I believe I should be in the $70K range. Am I crazy?

With that being said, I believe I should be in the $70K range. Am I crazy?
Yes. A brand new 2023 sells for $75,000 right now.

PPF and ceramic coat and tint and all that are generally worth next to nothing on the second-hand market unless you find that one private seller that really sees the value.

Given the choice between your car at $70k and a brand new one at $75k, almost everyone will take the car with zero miles and twice the remaining warranty.

Edit: I just noticed you bought FSD. That might get you closer, but that’s also worth relatively nothing on the second-hand market it seems. FSD belongs to the car and transfers indefinitely.

It’s gonna take a while for the used market to catch up to all the recent pricing changes and stabilize.

Last edited:
Here’s what you’re up against. These are the two 2021 LRs that actually SOLD on eBay recently. Neither had FSD, but still. Add a couple grand for FSD and you’re in the ballpark of what you could reasonably expect. Worth noting both of these sales were BEFORE the most recent drastic price cut.

IMG_9715.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and morbidz
Or just be happy with what you have and resist upgrade-itis.

Easier for me to say since I drive mine for free. I will agree it is frustrating to see older free supercharging model X's that would have fit my overall needs much better, for the same price I paid a year ago for my 2015. And a 6 year newer car for only 10k more? Ouch.

Alternatively you can wait till gas goes to 6 bucks a gallon again and used and new EVs will get more expensive.

Last edited:
Ultimately the value of any object is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. What it cost you initially has nothing to do with that equation. That's the big issue with all these add-ons like wraps, ceramic coating, tint, spoilers, alternate suspension links, ....

While you may have spent 10s of thousands on those, adds no value to someone like me who doesn't do any of those things to any of the vehicles I've purchased. To me they are worth zero. For you to recover any of that is totally reliant on you finding the buyer that places value on those items, although still maybe not the same value you had to pay to install them.

Reactions: morbidz
Yes. A brand new 2023 sells for $75,000 right now.

PPF and ceramic coat and tint and all that are generally worth next to nothing on the second-hand market unless you find that one private seller that really sees the value.

Given the choice between your car at $70k and a brand new one at $75k, almost everyone will take the car with zero miles and twice the remaining warranty.

Edit: I just noticed you bought FSD. That might get you closer, but that’s also worth relatively nothing on the second-hand market it seems. FSD belongs to the car and transfers indefinitely.

It’s gonna take a while for the used market to catch up to all the recent pricing changes and stabilize.
It's good feedback. Thank you!

If you want to see value for all the additions (on any car) you will need to go individual private sale and find the right person.
Understood. Other than the FSD, I consider those upgrades as sunk cost for protection I feel comfortable with. Since the price of FSD has continued to rise, I feel the $10K i paid should carry at least a bit more than other aftermarket upgrades. Thank you!

Understood. Other than the FSD, I consider those upgrades as sunk cost for protection I feel comfortable with. Since the price of FSD has continued to rise, I feel the $10K i paid should carry at least a bit more than other aftermarket upgrades. Thank you!
The price of FSD went down $3,000 on September 1 and it's still $10,000 too expensive.

The used market seems to value FSD at like $500 (that's what dealer trade valuation tools price it at) to maybe $2,000. $3,000 if you're really lucky. It's a scam.

The price of FSD went down $3,000 on September 1 and it's still $10,000 too expensive.

The used market seems to value FSD at like $500 (that's what dealer trade valuation tools price it at) to maybe $2,000. $3,000 if you're really lucky. It's a scam.
With all due respect it’s not a scam, it’s called capitalism and free markets. What you are proposing would be price controls or even communism. Kinda like people that loose money when a stock falls. There never was any implicit guarantee or promise that these cars would hold a certain value, that’s just the reality.

The average used car buyer does not give a *sugar* about FSD Or PPF. They are about price point. That’s why they are in the used market to begin with.

Reactions: Rockstop