Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's new in current production model S vs 2021 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of taking advantage of the third quarter offer to get a new car and move my FSD beta software to the new vehicle. I currently have a 2021 model S long range. It is the model with the yoke and the charging port that has the older style with a vertical hinge at the rear. It has HW 3 and US sensors. My car also has partial PPF coverage and 10 yr ceramic coating - I wonder if Tesla will add any value for that.
What would be the hardware differences if I trade up to a current production Model S long range?

Sad to say, your PPF and ceramic and any other addons you’ve done are worthless. In fact some addons (like 3rd party wheels) take value away on trades.

As for what’s new ….

Newer autopilot computer (which doesn’t do ANYTHING the current one doesn’t…. Yet.)
Newer cameras - better resolution.
Car can play Steam games.
New charge port door flap.
No ultrasonic sensors.

That’s pretty much it.

Most are upgrades (ultrasonic removal isn’t really an upgrade) but are they worth swapping cars out / tax implications / etc? That’s up to you, and you alone.

Eh. Don't care about the taillights, at all, and the headlights on the '21 are perfectly adequate. Haven't had any complaints.
At first, I didn't think they were that bad. Then I had a chance to compare them to headlights on my 2022 M3. They were substantially better and they aren't matrix ones either. The matrix ones on my S were markedly better than my non-matrix ones. Definitely fewer hotspots and more even illumination. Once they unlock the capabilities of the matrix ones, they'll be even better.

The IIHS rated the 2021 headlights as poor and I'll agree with them.

I am thinking of taking advantage of the third quarter offer to get a new car and move my FSD beta software to the new vehicle. I currently have a 2021 model S long range. It is the model with the yoke and the charging port that has the older style with a vertical hinge at the rear. It has HW 3 and US sensors. My car also has partial PPF coverage and 10 yr ceramic coating - I wonder if Tesla will add any value for that.
What would be the hardware differences if I trade up to a current production Model S long range?
Stay with what you have unless you want a TriMotor Plaid rocket 🚀. Or you have too many miles on your 2021. There’s nothing like having the “newest”.

I had last of the pre-refresh 2021, built November 2020. Totaled, and replaced with 2023. So not a direct comparison, but I found the windshield wipers on the 2023 cover the entire windshield whereas the coverage on my 2021 was a lot less.

Also, storage area in center console is much improved.

Finally, the HVAC actually blows air directly at my feet rather than my knees. Great improvement.

I presume you’re 2021 already has these improvements, which are relatively minor anyway but certainly makes it easier to suffer a total loss of my prior S.

At first, I didn't think they were that bad. Then I had a chance to compare them to headlights on my 2022 M3. They were substantially better and they aren't matrix ones either. The matrix ones on my S were markedly better than my non-matrix ones. Definitely fewer hotspots and more even illumination. Once they unlock the capabilities of the matrix ones, they'll be even better.

The IIHS rated the 2021 headlights as poor and I'll agree with them.

What are these future headlight unlocks you speak of?

The matrix lights have pretty incredible capabilities. They can do some pretty neat things and have been legal since 2022. Each manufacturer has to get individual approval to unlock all the features. Tesla hasn't yet. Look up the light shows Tesla has done with the headlights on matrix equipped cars.

Re: matrix headlights. Even though the dynamic highbeam feature isn't enabled yet (and ofc it's unknown if the current matrix headlights will ever get approved given that it appears that NHTSA's testing procedure deviates from the SAE's procedure), the matrix headlights do offer a noticeable improvement in light output over the older LED reflector llights. Beam is very uniform and intense with a well defined cutoff. Big step up from the LED reflectors in the older M3 and MY--and those were rated more favorably by IIHS than the MS LED reflector lamps.

One more improvement in the 2023 MS is the updated glass roof. Per Tesla marketing email in May 2023 it's supposed to weigh less and let in more light.

I came here with this same question (I have one of the earliest “refresh” S Long Range models from 2021).

In summary, here’s what I’m aware of in terms of changes:
  • AP HW 4.0
    • New high res cameras w/ LED flicker mitigation and wider angle on repeater cams
    • New Tesla-designed “Phoenix” radar (possibly not being used right now?)
    • New FSD Computer (exact specs not yet published)
    • Currently no new functionality aside from better dashcam video quality.
    • FSD Beta not yet available, but hopefully coming soon
  • No Ultrasonic Sensors (Park Assist uses cameras instead)
  • New matrix LED headlights
  • New tail light design
  • New charge port design
  • Upgraded infotainment computer with more RAM and storage - supports Steam
  • New red paint color (ultra red)
  • Larger rear display
  • Updated roof glass
  • Steering wheel available (and is default)
  • Front display swivel enabled (I think?)
  • New Tesla badging on trunk (I think?)
Anything I missed or got wrong?

It’s not a bad list of upgrades, but currently it’s hard to justify paying thousands or tens of thousands for them IMO, as irrationally tempted as I am.

The most valuable to me by far is theoretically the HW4 update. Right now it’s entirely theoretical, though, and we don’t really know when it will have meaningful differentiation via HW3 (assuming it eventually will). I also have some concern that they may release HW 4.x or even HW5 relatively soon - e.g., with one or more additional cameras, even more powerful computer, even better radar or more radars, etc. And we can’t necessarily count on retrofits (though one can hope). On the other hand, if HW4 suddenly becomes a lot better, it could drive demand and increase prices.

One thing I’ve been wondering is if all of these changes are reliably present on new vehicles. At one point I thought I’d heard that the matrix headlights were inconsistently present, but maybe that was just for the Model Y.

I’m also curious what build quality and fit-and-finish is like these days. My 2021 arrived in pretty good condition, but has been in for suspension squeaks, a couple of rattles, and a couple of other minor service issues. All taken care of painlessly, at least.

A few things they could add that would increase the temptation for me would be: power frunk, range and/or charging speed improvements, better steering wheel and/or yoke (fix the dumb horn design, improve the turn signal controls, better dynamic steering ratio via drive-by-wire), or more storage space (e.g., bigger frunk or lower trunk).

Thing is, I’m very content with the car I have. The main thing that would drive me to a new one is Autopilot/FSD stuff. If they had a traffic jam L3 mode on HW4, I’d place my order right now. Thus far, they haven’t even hinted at that as a goal. I’m hoping once HW4.x is on all new production (presumably when the Highland Model 3 arrives), they’ll actually start acknowledging HW4’s existence and talking about their plans for it. Unfortunately, I worry Musk is going to keep them stuck in the current “offer L2 but talk about it like it’ll be L4-L5 any day now” state.

Interesting. My 2021 MY LR was horrendous wth PB. My 2022 M3 LR was vastly better. Almost no phantom braking (3 times in 8k miles) and these weren't shadow events of a big truck like my Y would do. My MS LR only had 1 slow down, not even sure it if was PB in 8k miles. My 2022 MS Plaid has been perfect as well. All were/are on HW3.